ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ft-implementation]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

new top level domains

  • To: ft-implementation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: new top level domains
  • From: garydale@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

I disagree with the entire approach ICANN is taking. You should be restricting
TLDs and establishing rules to stop the proliferation of domain names.

Firstly I suggest that you correct the historic blunder of not enforcing
country codes. Only the international component of a multinational organization
should use the regular TLDs. Groups headquartered within a single nation should
use the country codes as their TLD.

For example, the International Red Cross should be redcross.org, while the
American Red Cross would be redcross.org.us. Similarly a corporation like
General Motors would have its international site as gm.com but its Canadian
operation would be gm.com.ca. A company that is only registered in a single
nation should never be .com. It should always be .com plus the country code.

Every TLD should be discrete. For example .biz and .com refer to the same types
of organizations, so .biz should be eliminated. .law could exist for legal
firms and lawyers but only if they were prohibited from registering as .com.
.info could exist by only for firms whose business is providing information.

ICANN should however maintain TLDs for each character set. Chinese, Latin,
Arabic, etc. should be given equal status. A Chinese equivalent of .com, for
example, should be used to direct traffic to the Chinese language web site of a
multinational corporation, while .com would direct traffic to a Latin-character
set site.

You should implement .xxx AND prohibit sites whose business is "adult
entertainment" from registering as anything but .xxx or .xxx plus a country
code.

Every organisation should be prohibited from using domain names not related to
their company name. For example, a corporate advertising site for a spiderman
movie should be something like spiderman.pictures.sony.com. Specifically,
companies shouldn't be allowed to register a domain for a product.

Recognizing that the world is made up of more than one culture and one
language, I support the use of national character sets for domain names.
Countries should be free to establish registries for their country codes in
whatever language(s) they prefer providing that unicode is used and not some
other character encoding.

If China wishes to use chinese characters they should be allowed to. If they
also want to register domains in english to promote international use, they
could have a company using www.mycompany.com.ch for English pages and an
equivalent Chinese language site using Chinese characters.

ICANN should bring order to the Internet, not allow it to decay futher into
anarchy. I believe the current plans to allow unrestricted expansion of the TLD
system is based on a free market ideology and not on good engineering
principles. I urge you to reverse your course.

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>