ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ft-implementation]

Comments on Drat Implementation Plan for IDN ccTLDs

  • To: ft-implementation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Drat Implementation Plan for IDN ccTLDs
  • From: Naveed ul Haq <naveed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:14:42 +0500

Dear Sir,

 During my recent participation at 33rd ICANN public meeting as an ICANN
fellow, introduction of IDN’s was one of the most significant issue
learned by me. ICANN’s efforts towards openness and diversity of Internet
are appreciable. Implementation of IDN ccTLD’s prior to IDN gTLD’s would
set a good example to ICANN for implementing the same for gTLD’s which of
course carry much bigger Internet domain space.

Although content regulation doesn’t come under ICANN’s umbrella. However,
in view of the importance of the subject I would like to suggest that
ICANN through GAC and ccTLD operators may encourage the development of
websites under the IDN ccTLD in local official language(s). There may be
no advantage for an end-user typing the domain (website) name in his own
language and having the rest in English especially in countries where
major segment of population is not conversant with English (like mine).  I
believe that ICANN’s vision of promoting Internet would be encouraged by
providing user a complete local language package. This would also promote
the domain name registration process.

Regards,

Naveed-ul-Haq
Assistant Director (ICT)