ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ft-implementation]

Where is the financial responsibility here ?

  • To: ft-implementation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Where is the financial responsibility here ?
  • From: Ken Stubbs <ken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:49:31 -0500

Ken Stubbs wrote:

I am submitting the following comments _solely _in my capacity as an individual member of the ICANN community.

" Nowhere in this document is there any requirement or acknowledgment
of any financial responsibility by the CCTLD's  for payments to ICANN
to help recover the costs of this process or to provide financial support for the future management of this effort.

The entire cost burden (well into 7 figures) for this is being laid on the rest of the ICANN community's backs...

_This is grossly unfair _and reflects a continuing pattern going back over the last 10 years of refusal by many members of the CCTLD community to pay their "fair and reasonable share" of ICANN costs. Many of the countries who will benefit from this new IDN roll out have more than adequate financial resources to shoulder their fair share of the burden of the roll out costs incurred and can most certainly
manage their proportionate share the ongoing management cost as well

This situation is becoming both intolerable and embarrassing for all parties involved and its time for ICANN to step up and require these applicants accept financial responsibility for subsidizing the process that
will provide the future benefits which will accrue solely to them."

I sincerely hope that the Board takes these comments to heart.

Respectfully,

Ken Stubbs