ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ft-implementation]

Comments on Draft Implementation Plan for the IDN ccTLD ( Rev.3), ictQATAR, State of Qatar

  • To: "ft-implementation@xxxxxxxxx" <ft-implementation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on Draft Implementation Plan for the IDN ccTLD ( Rev.3), ictQATAR, State of Qatar
  • From: Mohammed El-Bashir <mbashir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:46:33 +0300

Comments on IDN ccTLD Implementation Draft Plan . Revision 3.

We would to express our appreciation and support  to ICANN's work in IDN ccTLD
Fast Track initiative, and we looking forward for its implementation phases,
ICANN should work toward implementing IDN ccTLD Fast track within the published
time line.

We appreciate the release of IDN ccTLD Implementation Plan Draft revision 3.
With its supporting documents, we would like to provide our comments to some of
the issues raised:

1)      Documents of Responsibilities "DoR" :

*         The future IDN ccTLD registries should be treated as the current
ASCII ccTLD registries, in terms of IANA delegation process and releation with
ICANN.

*         IDN ccTLD Delegation Process should not mandate new IDN ccTLD
requestor to sign an agreement with ICANN for the delegation of the IDN ccTLD.

*         We support any form of a light-weight commitment arrangements between
ICANN and the new IDN ccTLD requestor, this should be based upon ensuring the
security and stability of the internet, compliance with IDNA protocol and IDN
guidelines.

2)      Fees and Costs :

*         We think that the IDN ccTLD implementation costs ( e.g Application
processing fee, ..etc) will be an entry barrier for developing countries and
Countries applying for more than one IDN ccTLD string, or Countries planning to
provide IDN ccTLD for no-profit purposes .

*         ICANN responsibility to bring multilingualism to the internet
addressing system should not be ignored; using a financial costs recovery
approach should not be the only objective when considering the costs associated
with IDN ccTLD implementation.

*         The IDN ccTLD and Linguistic communities has been working for many
years developing IDN policies and impelemting technical solutions, this effort
and its costs should be acknowledged and considered.

3)      Variants and Language Tables :

*         Variants are a critical issue that need an agreed solution as soon as
possible between ICANN and Communities interested in using/allowing variants
like the Arabic and Chinese Community .

*         We think that changes need to be done to IANA language and variants
tables repository, Language communities using the same script should be
encouraged to develop and publish agreed upon IDN Tables easily and be
available for re-usability .

4)      Implementation Time Frame :

The IDN ccTLD implementation time plan should not be changed or delayed to
accommodate the ongoing revisions in the IDNA protocol, or for any other
pending issues that could be solved by a policy development process, ICANN
should work toward implementing IDN ccTLD according to its published time
frames .

Best Regards,

Eng.Mohamed El Bashir
Manager - Internet, Numbering  and Interconnection
Regulatory Authority

[cid:image001.gif@01CA0544.423A9150]

________________________________
The information in this email and any attachments thereto, may contain
information that is confidential, protected by intellectual property rights,
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s).
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of the information contained herein by persons other
than the designated addressee is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately from
your system. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender or ictQATAR at + 974 (4) 935 922 or abuse@xxxxxxxxxx, any
views expressed in this email or its attachments are those of the individual
sender except where the sender, expressly and with authority, states them to be
the views of ictQATAR.

GIF image