ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[geo-regions-draft-final-report]

Comment from PICISOC

  • To: <geo-regions-draft-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment from PICISOC
  • From: "Maureen Hilyard" <hilyard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 00:35:13 -1000

Kia orana

As the contributor of the earlier submission to recognize the Pacific island
states within the ICANN structure, PICISOC continues to propose that some
recognition be given to the unique situation of the Pacific nations both
geographically and institutionally. It is difficult to define and represent
the unique issues that are experienced by 22 separate countries within the
Pacific region, and each at their own stage of development with regards to
internet access, connectivity and use.

Since the original submission was made nearly a year ago, PICISOC has
continued to contribute to APRALO online meetings. Pacific organisations
have become inured to working alongside our Asian colleagues on a number of
regional groups, despite our lack of affinity with Asia within the context
of language, culture or technological development.  The Pacific region is
still not recognized as its own entity. I live in the Cook Islands and the
UN does not recognize us separately from New Zealand. We are not listed as
an ICANN country for application to fellowships. Yet we have an ALS on ALAC.

As an organisation, PICISOC acknowledges the support of our At-Large -
APRALO - colleagues when it comes to explaining the intricacies of some of
the issues which many of us in the Pacific may often find difficult to
completely understand. On our home islands, the IT issues that are at the
forefront of our minds are at a much more basic level - affordability,
access, skills, etc.

Another difficulty outlined in the draft report was to do with getting to
regional events. In the Pacific, we cannot drive to these destinations.
Airfares are costly and funding to make these connections usually have to be
provided by donors who are few and far between. It is so easy to overlook
the Pacific  when there is limited representation from our needy countries.

We can appreciate the fact that ICANN may not be able to make too many
changes to its current structure, taking into account all the different
wants and needs of various countries and attempting to  make the best
decisions, being fair to all.   The Pacific acknowledges the benefits of
sitting alongside its Asian colleagues on APRALO, and enhancing the
diversity that is brought to decision-making at the regional level. However
membership of APRALO is via a difficult process.. this is  barrier to
participation of the wider Pacific group especially if they do not have an
ALS..

I believe that ICANN could be more innovative about how small island states
in the Pacific can get their views directly to key decision-making levels
within ICANN. A special interest group was proposed earlier. But, perhaps
another review is required. Until then the Pacific will remain within its
current geographic region but we would like ICANN to recognise all of the 22
countries of the Pacific (including the Cook Islands, Niue and the
Tokelaus).

Maureen Hilyard

Chair, PICISOC Board