ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

[gnso-acc-sgb] Bank question

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-acc-sgb] Bank question
  • From: Dan Krimm <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:40 -0700

A couple questions for Palmer too.

 (1) I want to make sure I understand the scope of the Bank proposal properly.

Is this presented as a comprehensive proposal for coordinating all access
to private Whois data (including by LEAs), or only within the banking
sector?

If the latter, then there still needs to be a solution for the rest of the
world.  It may be simpler to have a single solution than fragmented
solutions.

 (2) How does the "governmental monitoring" actually work to ensure that
all certification for access is appropriate (and any violations of
appropriateness are penalized and enforced)?  What would penalties be for
improper granting of access, and how would they be imposed?

Again, if there is no significant penalty for misuse in practice, the
constraint may as well not be there.

Dan