ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure

  • To: "Dan Krimm" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-acc-sgb" <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure
  • From: Hope.Mehlman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:59:02 -0500

Dan,

I glad that you are able to recognize a phishing email when you see one,
unfortunately,  not everyone is able to do so. We wouldn't have a problem if
that were the case.  The fraudsters have become more and more sophisticated
every day and I have seen highly educated people not be able to recognize
phishing emails or be confused as to whether an email is legitimate or not. For
example, people are often times confused or fall for fraudulent emails when
their bank merges with another bank. The phishing emails address the merger and
request.  Information stating that it necessary for conversion purposes. Of
course, this seems legitmate to customers because they know their bank is in
the process of merging and in combination with legitimate advertising or
communications via regular mail, television or print, even highly sophisticated
individuals  fall for these schemes.

Secondly, I am not sure why you are mixing Credit. Reporting Agencies with
banks, these are separate and distinct industries.

Finally, I am not sure I understand the connection  with  regard to your
comment that  banks should not have access to Whois information because they
have enough information about their customers.  One has nothing to do with the
other.   Banks are not interested in information about  millions upon millions
people but instead are interested in the Whois information specifically related
to domains used to perpetrate fraud upon millions of innocent victims. Banks
use Whois information in order to combat fraud and identity theft which results
from phishing emails. Again, banks aren't looking at information of anyone who
is not a fraudster. If you have the opportunity to speak with someone who has
been  a victim of identity theft or fraud, I would encourage you to do so.