ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

[gnso-acc-sgb] GAC's position on Whois

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-acc-sgb] GAC's position on Whois
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:28:59 -0400

Let me correct what seems to be an increasingly common set of errors on
interpreting the GAC principles.

First and foremost, the GAC stands for "Governmental Advisory
Committee." Its role in the CANN regime is advisory only. (The USG may
be an exception of course, because it controls key functions related to
ICANN. And the US definitely has a position on Whois ;-))

Second, anyone who has followed this issue knows perfectly well that
governments are deeply divided on it. When it comes to the proper
balance of privacy and access to data, data protection authorities have
one view, law enforcement and consumer protection authorites often have
a different view. Neither one of them can claim to speak authoritatively
for governments, much less the public interest. It is noteworthy,
however, that at some GAC meeting data protection authorities have not
been allowed to speak, whereas LEAs have been featured.

Third, this division of governmental opinion was illustrated just
today, with,the announcement that the UK government has required the
.telnic registry to remove access to private data from its Whois.
Indeed, one of the strangest aspects of this issue is the conflicting
signals you get from governmental agencies. You see, for example, the
Australian GAC representative demanding no change in Whois while at the
same time the Australian national privacy law requires the Australian
ccTLD to shield its Whois data.

Fourth, the GAC statement on Whois deliberately did _not_ say that
access to the whois data as it now exists should be retained. It
enumerated several "legitimate activities" that use the whois data. That
was compromise wording deliberately chosen to avoid saying what
Christopher Gibson is saying below. In other words, in the GAC
principles it is the activities that are legitimate, but not necessarily
the open access to them that we have now.

>>> "Christopher Gibson" <cgibson@xxxxxxxxxxx> 5/11/2007 6:39:16 PM

and others, however, serve to confirm the GAC's position that WHOIS
services
have evolved into a vital, efficient and internationally-tested
mechanism in
support of a number of legitimate functions.  In this context,
following the
"first, do no harm" principle means that potential changes to the
WHOIS
system need to be evaluated and made only when we have confidence that
suitable alternative mechanisms to curb abuse are in place.

Chris

Palmer Hamilton <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dan,

The problem is a practical one. Law enforcement has limited resources.
We might wish that were not the case, but it is, and, realistically,
it
will always be the case. Law enforcement, as I set out in my earlier
emails to Milton, expects banks to do the legwork before it will act.
Maybe it should be otherwise, but this is not the case nor will it
ever
be the case. In various roles, both in government and working on the
side of government, I have spent years working on the side of law
enforcement. I think it is fair to say that law enforcement's approach
is virtually an immutable law of nature. And frankly from law
enforcement's standpoint, it must set priorities given its limited
resources.

If banks do not have access to the necessary information, internet
users
and consumers will be put at much greater risk. It would be nice to
think that banks and consumers could simply lodge a complaint and that
the complaint would be immediately acted upon. But this will never
happen. Law enforcement has too much on its plate. My banks can give
you page after page of examples to corroborate this. And remember for
every hour that passes, millions can be lost, including life savings.

Please take another look at the example in my email to Milton
involving
the local police in a foreign jurisdiction that finally agreed to act,
but only after the bank had exhausted all avenues and done all the
legwork. Realistically, absent bank access to the local address, it is
unknown how many innocent consumers would have suffered losses before
this fraudulent website was ever closed down.

You are right that this is a question of balance. And I would argue
that consumer protection needs to be prominently considered, not
dismissed as unfortunate collateral damage.

Banks are closely regulated and monitored entities with public
responsibilities. Those responsibilities are examined regularly by
bank
examiners. As a result, I would submit, consumer protection ought to
prevail in light of the protections from a privacy standpoint in the
existing regulatory structure.

Palmer