ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure
  • From: jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 00:53:37 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

<HEAD><TITLE>Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert
procedure</TITLE>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3086" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV id=compText>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<DIV id=compText>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}</STYLE>

<P>Palmer and all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; My statement was carefully chosen.&nbsp; LEA's do not have blanket or
carte blance</P>
<P>access to customers or non customers data from banks without due </P>
<P>process/subphoena.&nbsp; I checked with the security folks at all 8 of the
</P>
<P>banks I do and have done business with and they all laughed at them</P>
<P>"doing leg work" for LEA's without a unchallenged subphoena unless</P>
<P>they are acting in a very unsatisfactory manner towards their customers.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; In fact not more than&nbsp;9 months ago one of my banks called me and
ask me</P>
<P>if I would agree to allow the release of my financial data to them from a</P>
<P>unnamed LEA.&nbsp; My answer was definately not.&nbsp; They did not do so as
two</P>
<P>days later that LEA called upon me at my place of business and ask me why</P>
<P>I refused them access, and why I filed a motion to squash their
subphoena.</P>
<P>I not so politely and very bluntly told them because I believed it was a
violation</P>
<P>of my financial privacy rights and given the unclear reasons stated in
the</P>
<P>text of the subphoena, their request was nonsensical.&nbsp; They ceased
to</P>
<P>push for the access they were seeking any further.</P>
<DIV id=compText><BR><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff
2px solid">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Palmer Hamilton
<PALMERHAMILTON@xxxxxxxxxxx><BR>Sent: May 11, 2007 11:01 PM <BR>To:
jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <BR>Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg]
Dutch Govcert procedure <BR><BR><ZZZHTML><ZZZHEAD><ZZZMETA CONTENT="text/html;
charset=utf-8" HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"><ZZZMETA CONTENT="MS Exchange Server
version 6.5.7651.59" NAME="Generator"></ZZZHEAD><ZZZBODY><ZZZ!-- -- format
plain text from Converted>
<P><FONT size=2>Jeff,<BR><BR>My earlier email was simply a statement of
fact.&nbsp; Law enforcement relies on banks to do the legwork on cases
involving internet fraud through fraudulent websites purporting to be bank
websites.&nbsp; I am baffled by your statement that "very few"&nbsp; law
enforcement agencies rely on bank legwork.&nbsp; What is your specific evidence
for this contention?&nbsp; It is at complete variance with our banks'
experience.&nbsp; On what do you base your statement?<BR><BR>You state law
enforcement "cannot rely on banks" to do its legwork.&nbsp; I presume by this
you mean they should not rely on baks, since it is incontrovertible that they
do rely on banks to do this work.<BR><BR>This being the case, I would suggest
that we deal with the reality of the situation, not what we might wish were the
case..&nbsp; This is the way law enforcement works, and, as I indicated in a
prior email, this reality is not going to change.<BR><BR>If we ignore this
reality, we put consumers at risk.&nbsp; While we might wish reality were
different, it is not.&nbsp; So, we need to deal with this fact.<BR><BR>ICANN is
not a law enforcement agency.&nbsp; Nobody is suggesting that it is.&nbsp; This
does not mean, however, that ICANN does not have a duty to the internet
community to take reasonable steps to protect internet users from being victims
of fraud.&nbsp; The WHOIS data is indispensable to banks in allowing them to
protect internet users and consumers.<BR><BR>Your suggestion of using
"warrants" (by which I presume you mean subpoenas) ignores the critical timing
issues involved..&nbsp; The delay attendant with your suggestion would entail
losses of millions, including losses of life savings.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Don't you
think these consumers deserve better from ICANN?&nbsp; If the use of WHOIS data
can protect consumers, AND privacy protections can be built into this access,
shouldn't ICANN preserve these tools needed to protect the
consumer?<BR><BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From:
owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx &lt;owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>To:
gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx &lt;gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>CC:
gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx &lt;gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Sent: Fri May 11
21:10:05 2007<BR>Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert
procedure<BR><BR>Dan, Palmer and all,<BR><BR>&nbsp; Palmers comments and/or
observations regarding Banks are not<BR>accurate nor appropriate for Whois
data.&nbsp; Law enforcment cannot<BR>rely on banks to do their "Leg Work" so to
speak, and very few<BR>do.&nbsp; Law enforcment do use some bank data on
customers for<BR>financial investigative evidance with a warrant as
required<BR>by law in most US states and federal statute.&nbsp;<BR><BR>&nbsp;
Dan's remarks have merit from where I sit as to ICANN<BR>acting as a law
enforcment or investigative agent for same.<BR>ICANN is not suited for such a
function in regards to Whois<BR>data, nor should it be.&nbsp; Incidently the
Whois was never<BR>intended as a law enforcment tool, and should not be
used<BR>as such other than incidentally.&nbsp; However law enforcment<BR>in the
course of an investigation should be able to obtain<BR>"Any" Whois data via
jurisdictional due process.&nbsp; Ergo<BR>a search and sezier warrant or an
equivalent dependant on<BR>nation of origin, resaprocity,
ect..<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jeffrey A. Williams<BR>Spokesman for INEGroup LLA.
- (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)<BR>"Obedience of the law is the
greatest freedom" -<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Abraham Lincoln<BR><BR>"Credit should go
with the performance of duty and not with what is very<BR>often the accident of
glory" - Theodore Roosevelt<BR><BR>"If the probability be called P; the injury,
L; and the burden, B; liability<BR>depends upon whether B is less than L
multiplied by<BR>P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."<BR>United States v.
Carroll Towing&nbsp; (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir.
1947]<BR>===============================================================<BR>Updated
 1/26/04<BR>CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
div. of<BR>Information Network Eng.&nbsp; INEG. INC.<BR>ABA member in good
standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Registered Email
addr with the USPS Contact Number:
214-244-4827<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>&gt;From:
Dan Krimm &lt;dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt;Sent: May 11, 2007 7:32
PM<BR>&gt;To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;Cc:
gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg]
Dutch Govcert procedure<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I'll let Eric speak for himself with
regard to the email he receives, but<BR>&gt;the phishing scams I get are easily
recognized and discarded.&nbsp; (The first<BR>&gt;one I ever got -- before it
had become prevalent, and before there was a<BR>&gt;word coined for it -- I was
temporarily confused, but I was alert enough to<BR>&gt;check out the domain
before supplying any info.&nbsp; I have been personally<BR>&gt;immune ever
since.)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;While I opt-out of all uses of my info by financial
institutions that I can<BR>&gt;(and in California I can opt out of more than in
other states or countries,<BR>&gt;because of consumer-friendly state
regulation), I am still troubled by<BR>&gt;information collected by credit
reporting agencies and other sources that I<BR>&gt;do not know about.&nbsp; I
refuse to allow DoubleClick to place cookies on my<BR>&gt;browsers.&nbsp; And
still I know this is not enough to be secure in the<BR>&gt;knowledge that data
about me is not being used against my interests,<BR>&gt;usually by private
entities out to make a buck.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Banks already get a lot of personal
information from their immediate<BR>&gt;customers.&nbsp; There is no reason to
give them unsupervised blanket access to<BR>&gt;all information in the Whois
database about millions upon millions of<BR>&gt;people who are not their direct
customers.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Information used for legitimate anti-fraud efforts
needs to be<BR>&gt;well-targeted as much as possible, and checks and balances
need to be in<BR>&gt;place to assure appropriateness of access as a rule, since
recourse is not<BR>&gt;always available in the case of abuse (and thus
deterrence may be<BR>&gt;ineffective).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;If ICANN is not in
position to become a fully-functional public law<BR>&gt;enforcement entity in
and of itself, with all of the due process and<BR>&gt;accountability that such
a role calls for (and it seems pretty clear that<BR>&gt;it is not), then that
dynamic needs to be in the system somewhere, somehow,<BR>&gt;and it needs to be
designed with some serious effectiveness, not just as a<BR>&gt;cosmetic
ruse.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Dan<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;At 5:54 PM -0500
5/11/07, Hope.Mehlman@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;Those 20 or so spam emails
are likely phishing emails or scams. Banks do<BR>&gt;&gt;not send spam emails.
These emails you are referring to are not legitmate<BR>&gt;&gt;emails, and this
is exactly what banks are trying to prevent in order to<BR>&gt;&gt;protect
consumers from identity theft and fraud.&nbsp; Your email
highlights<BR>&gt;&gt;how significant and prevalent this problem
is.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; ----- Original Message
-----<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; From: Hugh Dierker
[hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx]<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; Sent: 05/11/2007 03:26 PM
MST<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; Cc:
gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE:
[gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;This
really assumes alot.&nbsp; Hypothetical "who done its".&nbsp; Does not
justify<BR>&gt;&gt;giving out confidential information to banks.&nbsp; I get 20
or so spams a day<BR>&gt;&gt;from Banks. Junk mail another 5 a day- credit
cards galore.<BR>&gt;&gt;I do not buy that "banks" want my info for purely
secure reasons.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Eric<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Palmer
Hamilton &lt;PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Dan,<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;The
problem is a practical one. Law enforcement has limited
resources.<BR>&gt;&gt;We might wish that were not the case, but it is, and,
realistically, it<BR>&gt;&gt;will always be the case. Law enforcement, as I set
out in my earlier<BR>&gt;&gt;emails to Milton, expects banks to do the legwork
before it will act.<BR>&gt;&gt;Maybe it should be otherwise, but this is not
the case nor will it ever<BR>&gt;&gt;be the case. In various roles, both in
government and working on the<BR>&gt;&gt;side of government, I have spent years
working on the side of law<BR>&gt;&gt;enforcement. I think it is fair to say
that law enforcement's approach<BR>&gt;&gt;is virtually an immutable law of
nature. And frankly from law<BR>&gt;&gt;enforcement's standpoint, it must set
priorities given its limited<BR>&gt;&gt;resources.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;If
banks do not have access to the necessary information, internet
users<BR>&gt;&gt;and consumers will be put at much greater risk. It would be
nice to<BR>&gt;&gt;think that banks and consumers could simply lodge a
complaint and that<BR>&gt;&gt;the complaint would be immediately acted upon.
But this will never<BR>&gt;&gt;happen. Law enforcement has too much on its
plate. My banks can give<BR>&gt;&gt;you page after page of examples to
corroborate this. And remember for<BR>&gt;&gt;every hour that passes, millions
can be lost, including life savings.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Please take another
look at the example in my email to Milton involving<BR>&gt;&gt;the local police
in a foreign jurisdiction that finally agreed to act,<BR>&gt;&gt;but only after
the bank had exhausted all avenues and done all the<BR>&gt;&gt;legwork.
Realistically, absent bank access to the local address, it
is<BR>&gt;&gt;unknown how many innocent consumers would have suffered losses
before<BR>&gt;&gt;this fraudulent website was ever closed
down.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;You are right that this is a question of balance.
And I would argue<BR>&gt;&gt;that consumer protection needs to be prominently
considered, not<BR>&gt;&gt;dismissed as unfortunate collateral
damage.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Banks are closely regulated and monitored
entities with public<BR>&gt;&gt;responsibilities. Those responsibilities are
examined regularly by bank<BR>&gt;&gt;examiners. As a result, I would submit,
consumer protection ought to<BR>&gt;&gt;prevail in light of the protections
from a privacy standpoint in the<BR>&gt;&gt;existing regulatory
structure.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Palmer<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;-----Original
Message-----<BR>&gt;&gt;From: owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx [<A
href="mailto:owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx";
target=_BLANK>mailto:owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx</A>]<BR>&gt;&gt;On Behalf Of
Dan Krimm<BR>&gt;&gt;Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 3:43 PM<BR>&gt;&gt;To:
gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;&gt;Cc:
gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;&gt;Subject: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg]
Dutch Govcert
procedure<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Palmer,<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;If I may step
in here (and shift this discussion over to the Subgroup B<BR>&gt;&gt;list where
it properly belongs):<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;At 1:44 PM -0500 5/11/07, Palmer
Hamilton wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;Just having the IP address and
registrar is not sufficient. For<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;example, one of my banks had a
case in which it had to use local police<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;in a
foreign country to visit the physical address of the website
owner<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;to get the site taken down. The bank had tried
to get the registrar to<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;shut it down without
success. The bank had also tried to stop the
site<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;with the administrative contact, the technical
contact, the abuse<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;contact, and the website owner, all with no
success. The registrar was<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;also not interested in
working with the local police, but the local<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;police agreed to
assist AFTED the bank provided the police the full<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;WHOIS
information plus a synopsis of its takedown efforts.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;So
the question here is, when the bank is involved in valid efforts
that<BR>&gt;&gt;require access to Whois data that is designated as private
there<BR>&gt;&gt;certainly should be a process for that data to be engaged in
the<BR>&gt;&gt;process, so what should that process be? No one is suggesting
that the<BR>&gt;&gt;bank never get any such information whatsoever. But some of
us are<BR>&gt;&gt;suggesting that private entities should not get direct access
to the<BR>&gt;&gt;Whois data, but rather get information from formally
accountable LEAs<BR>&gt;&gt;who have direct access.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;It
doesn't mean that private agents cannot contribute to
the<BR>&gt;&gt;investigation process, but that private agents need only be
given what<BR>&gt;&gt;they need in a particular context rather than being given
the full range<BR>&gt;&gt;of powers granted to publicly-accountable law
enforcement. And, that<BR>&gt;&gt;LEAs be responsible for providing appropriate
information to private<BR>&gt;&gt;agents that are participating in
investigation processes. Once such a<BR>&gt;&gt;policy is well-defined, it is
possible to build technological systems<BR>&gt;&gt;that adhere to those
policies and operate efficiently without<BR>&gt;&gt;unnecessary human
intervention.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;And if ICANN jurisdiction is insufficient
to resolve all structure<BR>&gt;&gt;issues, that still may not be ICANN's
responsibility to solve.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;At some point public law
enforcement must step up to the plate to do<BR>&gt;&gt;what needs to be done.
ICANN cannot solve all the world's public<BR>&gt;&gt;problems on its own, or
even those problems that may relate tangentially<BR>&gt;&gt;to the technical
operation of the Internet. ICANN is not a proper venue<BR>&gt;&gt;to determine
and conduct public governance activities, or to authorize<BR>&gt;&gt;private
execution of public
governance.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;Having said
this, the Dutch model could ultimately help fill a void on<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;the
international level by leveraging international pressure
on<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;recalcitrant governments. But again, this is not really an
alternative<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;to what we are doing in Subgroup B, as I
understand it.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;What exactly are we doing in subgroup B
as you understand it?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;As I understand it, we are trying
to reach some consensus on what GNSO<BR>&gt;&gt;should recommend to the ICANN
Board with regard to determining to whom<BR>&gt;&gt;and how direct access to
private Whois data under the OPoC paradigm<BR>&gt;&gt;should be granted (by
registries and/or registrars). This does not<BR>&gt;&gt;speak to indirect
access through authorized/certified LEAs.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;I have no
expectation (or illusion) that what we come up with here will<BR>&gt;&gt;create
a perfect world. It will certainly continue to be
systematically<BR>&gt;&gt;imperfect from a privacy protection standpoint. If
you are hoping to<BR>&gt;&gt;find perfection, then that is undoubtedly beyond
the scope of this WG or<BR>&gt;&gt;Subgroup B.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;We are
not in a position to dictate a comprehensive and airtight<BR>&gt;&gt;resolution
to the full complexity of issues here. So at least *that* is<BR>&gt;&gt;*not*
what we are doing
here.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Dan<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Need
 Mail bonding?<BR>&gt;&gt;Go to the<BR>&gt;&gt;&lt;<A
href="http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&amp;sid=396546091";

target=_BLANK>http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&amp;sid=396546091</A>&gt;Yahoo!<BR>&gt;&gt;Mail
 Q&amp;A for<BR>&gt;&gt;&lt;<A
href="http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&amp;sid=396546091";

target=_BLANK>http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&amp;sid=396546091</A>&gt;great<BR>&gt;&gt;tips
 from Yahoo! Answers
users.<BR>&gt;<BR><BR></FONT></P></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY>