ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] whois and spam harvesting-RESENDING

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] whois and spam harvesting-RESENDING
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:51:06 -0400

>>> "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/15/07 3:06 PM >>>
>I believe it is relevant in response to others citing abuse as the
>reason for significantly restricting access to WHOIS.

Margie:
Let me remind everyone of our charter, again. Our subgroup is charged
with developing a proposal for "legitimate parties" to access whois
information that is no longer available for public access.

This presumes, of course, that we _will_ restrict access to some data
elements of Whois, along the lines of the OPoC recommendation. The
precise issue we must discuss is who gets access to the data taken out
of public access (street address, email, phone number) and under what
conditions.