ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Phishing statistics (no longer A Dutch procedure)

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Phishing statistics (no longer A Dutch procedure)
  • From: "Patrick Cain" <pcain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:55:17 -0400

Hi,
The APWG collects and published a variety of monthly statistics. They are
available at www.antiphishing.org .
There is a big .pdf version, too. Questions about the data can be directed
to me or the APWG; not this list, please.

We do not report per-TLD-domain statistics but emphasize the geographic
location of the hosting site since the take down is more driven by the
server location than the DNS name. If the 'phish site per TLD' is useful I
can try and run the numbers, but I'm not convinced it is.

Using an IP address instead of a DNS name allows use of compromised
home/university/corporation machines that do not normally have DNS names.

I believe that more than half of the phish sites that *I'm* aware of are
located at free/cheap hosting sites, but I have no useful public statistic
to back that up. Another significant chunk is at compromised web servers.

The APWG does not currently have historical data on domain registration data
(e.g., proxy, address fakality, etc), although we have started to collect it
as the phish site is reported to us.

Pat Cain