ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP

  • To: Doug Isenberg <disenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Impact on UDRP
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

  What is the standard (if there is one) process for amending the UDRP. Your
logic is inescapable. And the OPoC is going to happen therefor we must make the
changes necessary elsewhere.

  I would be happy to do some "legwork" alone, if this is outside the "scope"
of this WG. I think I could convince a few of my GA friends to help out.

  Eric

Doug Isenberg <disenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  My primary questions, refined in response to the below, are as follows:

(1) If the UDRP requires a Complainant to prove that a registrant has "no
rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name" (UDRP Policy,
paragraph 4(a)(ii)), then how would a Complainant be able to do so if the
Complainant does not know the registrant's identity and instead knows only
the identity of the registrant's OPOC? Either (a) the Complainant must have
access to the registrant's identity, or (b) the UDRP must be amended to
eliminate this requirement.

(2) If the UDRP requires that a Complainant send or transmit the Complaint
to "the holder of a domain-name registration against which a complaint is
initiated" (UDRP Rules 1 and 3(b)(xii)), then how would a Complainant be
able to do so if the Complainant does not know the registrant's identity and
instead knows only the identity of the registrant's OPOC? Either (a) the
Complainant must have access to the registrant's identity, or (b) the UDRP
must be amended to eliminate this requirement.

These are not necessarily the only UDRP-related issues that may exist, but
the general notion is that any changes to Whois (whether via OPOC or
otherwise) are likely to have broader implications than appear to have been
discussed thus far and that these implications may require changes to the
UDRP itself before the changes could be implemented.

Doug Isenberg
www.GigaLawFirm.com