ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow/Burden of proof

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow/Burden of proof
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 23:29:13 -0700

Dr. Dierker and all sgb members,

  I agree with your conclusion.  It is also apriori/given that wanna-be
third part private sectors will disagree.  And they will always disagree

for many reasons many of which are not valid, and simply because they
are of the opinion they don't need to because they really don't
want to.  Of course they will never admit the latter, but argue nearly
endlessly regarding the former.  And in arguing regarding the former
they will frequently use consumers as their prop or goat.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I think that this position is apriori. It is a given. Therefor I
> think there is a burden of proof upon third parties to overcome this
> assumption. At this point the discussion seems to be equal and that
> would require a finding in favor of privacy extension not retraction.
>
>   Eric
>
> Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Hi,
>

> On 24 maj 2007, at 04.09, Palmer Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Second, in the case of identity theft, the consumer certainly
> > experiences the serious and often devastating adverse
> > consequences. Anyone who has been the victim of ID theft can
> > easily speak to this. It is fine for us to talk about these issues
> > in the abstract, but talk to a victim of ID theft, and he or she
> > will likely not be too impressed some of the arguments we have been
> > hearing.
>

> I may be confusing the topics somewhat, but one of the reasons I have
> for having as little of the information about registrants available
> to as few as possible is indeed to avoid giving ID thieves the
> information they need to steal the ID. So considering that the vast
> majority (anyone have an idea of the real %ages?) of registrants are
> good law abiding folks and only a very few are ID thieving bad guys
> isn't the greater good served more by keeping the information as
> restricted as possible?
>
> a.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827