ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: Fw: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for today

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fw: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for today
  • From: "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:47:34 -0600

That's correct.

I disagree with Ross that this is out of scope since we are talking
about whether registrars currently deploy some technological limitations
on Port 43, and whether such limitations could be useful in developing a
tiered access approach to WHOIS.

I believe that the registrar's current practices, including
blacklisting/whitelisting IP addresses, rate limits per IP addresses,
and truncated records per IP address, may be some of the limitations
that could be evaluated in our work.  As a registrar, I agree with Ross
that any changes to WHOIS access need to be implementable and not cost
prohibitive.

Margie