ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] query-screening paradigm

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] query-screening paradigm
  • From: "Carole Bird" <Carole.Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 08:25:47 -0400

Hi Dan,

When you say "LEA-operated system" what do you have in mind?  My concern here
is that, as we discussed at the last teleconference, there are countries where
LEAs are not legally allowed to "pass-on" or distribute information from
someone else's database unless the LEA is itself conducting an investigation
into the matter.  Even then, the LEA may not be able to "pass-on" the
information but only use it for it's only police investigation.

Also could you clarify what your definition of an Affidavit is?  (I don't want
to assume that it is the same definition everywhere or that the elements of an
affidavit are the same everywhere.)

Thanks,

Carole.

>>> Dan Krimm <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/25/07 10:54 PM >>>
Jeff,

Not sure if I fully understand the question re "institution by institution
basis" but let me guess -- I would suggest that non-LEA query eligibility
be certified and verified for individual natural persons at appropriate
individual institutions for specific "purpose domains" appropriate to the
individual institution's legitimate need to obtain instances of the private
Whois information.

And then of course, individual queries from eligible account holders would
go through the application procedure as described.  So to reiterate, this
is a two-stage process:

 (1) Certify/verify individuals' eligibility to make queries through the
LEA-operated system for certain instances of private Whois information.
Institutional affiliation will certainly be of some importance here.
(Review certification periodically, perhaps roughly annually.  That
periodicity is open to comment, IMHO, but I think a one-time cert would not
be sufficient.  Also, when individuals leave positions where performing
such queries are in their job descriptions, their certifications must be
removed immediately.)

 (2) Case-specific affidavit/application process with well-defined approval
protocols allowed for eligible accounts in the system, with fully
individualized audit trail.

More detailed criteria need to be defined as to whom would qualify to be
certified for query eligibility, but I'm not sure that institutions or
industries as a *category* would necessarily be certified as a group,
though membership in a group whose members typically satisfy the criteria
would probably indicate that approval for certification would be likely.
But I would not suggest defining "eligible groups" so much as certify
"eligible individuals in individual eligible institutions" according to
specific demonstrated need.

I see no need for institution-*type*-based categorization, as in Susan's
proposal.  I think it would be better to proceed directly from actual
need-based criteria, and define those needs as clearly as we can.

Frankly, I think the question deserves further exploration.  Nevertheless,
my own instinct is not to create an unnecessary layer of potentially
spurious categorization that will confuse the accuracy of the certification
process.  Legitimacy should be based on the specific use/need, not the
"type" of institution, I think.  This keeps the process closer to "due
process" which is the aim here.

Dan