ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: Fw: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for today

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fw: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for today
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:29:34 -0700 (PDT)

I would be interested to hear from an actual hands on operator of port 43 and
her analysis of costing.

  Eric

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Margie and all sgb members,

I see and agree with your and Ross's concern regarding costs to
be covered.
Do you have a suggestion as to how such costs can be managed
and still provide for checks and balances so registrants and consumers
privacy is not abused or misused?

In my view, registrars should not be assuming any of these costs,
nor should consumers, and I see no need for them to do so as it
is not their interests which are being served here. Rather third
party wanna be's and LEA's interests are the interests whom are
being more greatly served, ergo they should shoulder the bulk of
the costs in terms of fees for certification, ect. without the ability
to pass such costs on to consumers. This will give these wanna be
third parties and incentive to behaive responsibly and give consumers
some level of peace of mind.

Margie Milam wrote:

> In my view, cost prohibitive would be something that would require
> significant r&d effort or shift in operations on the part of
> registrars
> to accommodate, without no apparent way to recoup the costs.
>

> All registrars rely on software, either internally developed or
> licensed
> from a third party, to perform their domain name registrations. My
> point is that in developing a WHOIS solution, we need to take this
> into
> account. Anything that would require a manual process, such as
> reviewing affidavits or faxes or other documentation may not be
> scaleable, when you are talking about millions of WHOIS records.
>

> Margie

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
Updated 1/26/04
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827