ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Reaction to access proposal 2

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Reaction to access proposal 2
  • From: Dan Krimm <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 02:19:38 -0700

Wout,

Can you clarify whether OPTA needs "bulk" access or only "query" access as
part of Type 3?

I understand "bulk" access to mean full-scale download of all Whois data in
a registrar's database at once, as a single integrated dataset.  I
understand "query" access to involve access to single-domain info,
single-registrant info, related spellings of a registrant or domain, et
cetera.  That is, query access does not provide the full database all at
once, but only selected parts of it that are relevant to a specific
investigation.

At this point I do not understand why anyone pursuing anti-fraud action
would need access to a full database in bulk form, as long as no part of
the data is precluded from access under a specific query specification.  So
perhaps we should break out Type 3 into two separate options.  Personally,
I would be *much* less sanguine about bulk access than unlimited query
access, especially if there are no records kept of queries.

-----

Now, let me address your questions below:

As for "contractual/legal restriction of queries": I understand this to
mean that queries need to be explicitly related to an investigation that is
underway under some legal process.  I would assume that OPTA does not need
Whois data for anything other than such cases that it is actively
investigating.

I'm not sure what questions remain with regard to "particular domains" or
"particular registrants".  Can you elaborate on what is not clear there?

As for who will keep/audit records: this is not answered in detail and
remains to be worked out.  One possible option is to have records
kept/audited by a distinct branch of government separate from the branch
that conducts the investigation.  This obviously may require different
choices in different jurisdictions.  Would you have any suggestion as to
how this might be arranged in a way that satisfies OPTA's requirements?

As for sanctions: this might be accomplished by the branch that
keeps/audits records, but again it remains to be defined in detail.

These ideas originated in the attempt to distinguish indirect/intermediated
non-governmental access from direct governmental access.  However, the idea
of keeping an audit trail is one that seems plausible to apply to
government entities as well, even under a paradigm of direct access,
allowing for the stipulations that Carole brought up in the last call about
special circumstances that ought to legitimately constrain audit trail
activation.

Bottom line:  Given that details remain to be fully defined, can you
suggest any parameters for defining those details in a way that would allow
OPTA to support Type 2 access for government entities?

Thanks,
Dan