ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Re: Two documents attached

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Re: Two documents attached
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:32:09 +0100

Hi K

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Rosette, Kristina wrote:

> Didn't mean to upset the apple cart so to speak.  There was an IPC
> meeting so figured I'd raise it.
>
> As to the overall process guidance, I'm not as much a veteran as others
> so will defer. With that caveat, I would suggest (i) one motion that
> approves the texts, place options in brackets, and requests everyone to
> work on list so text can be finalized and voted on; and (ii) a
> conditional motion (conditional on Council supporting IPC proposal to
> move diversity requirements to final RT selection by PDT and JK) that
> sets out the diversity requirements Council believes should be reflected
> in overall RT composition.

Re: i) This is what I don't know, can we have a motion to approve a text with
brackets meaning the provisions are not approved?  I've not seen this in the
year and change I've been on the council.

Re: ii) why would this particular issue need a different motion, if we were
doing the brackets thing?

FWIW a personal view: PDT and JK will of course look for a diverse team, but to
get there they need a diverse pool to choose from.  And there's arguably
something to be said for the council striving in this direction in its own
workings rather than saying diversity is something that should be achieved
elsewhere in ICANN.

> As for the specific options, preferences are:
>
> 1.  Evaluation Team:  a
> 2.  Diversity:  c
> 3.  Eligibility:  c

Since we're putting our cards on the table early, again personally, mine are c,
b, a.  I and believe most if not all NCSG won't vote for a motion that has no
diversity requirements and restricts the rights of individuals to stand for an
office or vote for whomever they like.

Hmm....this might turn out to be a field day for bloggers, ICANN critics, the
ITU, etc....after a very depressing day at the IGF consultation, not a cheery
thought.

> As for diversity, I had understood that the diversity criteria in 3 and
> 4 were requirements and not aspirational goals.  Did I misunderstand?

"Unless the applicant pool does not allow, no more than two volunteers should
come from the same geographical region.
Unless the applicant pool does not allow, nominees must not all be of the same
gender, and the distribution between genders should be no greater than
two-thirds to one-third."

If there are sufficient applications to make the goals attainable, then should.
 If not then not.

Cheers,

Bill