ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process

  • To: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:18:51 -0700

Hi Bill,

There is no way to escape the politics. The process we used last time,
and the similar one you describe, are policital. In fact, the RrSG had
four names on its short list and only one was a registrar. When we
learned that the other SGs selected candidates from their SG, the RrSG
decided to select the one registrar candidate on the short list. Prior
to that the favorite appeared to be a candidate from the CSG, believe it
or not. That's not political? And that's exactly what will happen under
the process you describe. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but let's
not pretend we can escape the political aspect of this.

If we are going to do anything akin to what we did last time then we
need to get Staff and Board to modify their open call for volunteers.
They should pull it back and instead refer interested applicants to an
appropriate page that describes the application and selection process
for each SO/AC. The Selectors then become rubber stamps, so they really
would not be needed either.

Other responses inline below.

Tim