ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] FW: [soac-discussion] GENTLE REMINDER

  • To: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] FW: [soac-discussion] GENTLE REMINDER
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 15:59:51 +0200

Hi

Comments on SSR and WHOIS below.

While in principle we could probably do with one from each house, in practice
there's likely to be a lot of interest so why get into the politics of trying
to narrow the field. Ask for 4 and see. NCSG does have several qualified people
who are likely to be interested.

> At a minimum, I think we should propose at least two from the GNSO, one from
> each house.
> In my opinion, for the SSR RT I think that security experts are as important
> and maybe more important than SO representatives.
> One approach we could take is to endorse GNSO security experts for our slots.
>    GOOD IDEA.  ON THE FENCE AS TO WHETHER TO "ENCOURAGE" OR "REQUIRE" THAT SG
> DESIGNEE HAVE SECURITY EXPERTISE. CG: I’D BE INCLINED TO REQUIRE /
> DEMONSTRATE SOME LEVEL OF SECURITY/TECHNICAL EXPERTISE.TR: AGREE W/ CG EXCEPT
> THAT I WOULD SOFTEN IT TO "EXPERIENCE OR BACKGROUND" INSTEAD OF EXPERTISE AND
> PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED.
I doubt it'd be easy for us to get into evaluating people's expertise beyond a
basic eyeball level; at some point we have to trust that people will not put in
for something they really can't handle, and/or that the Selectors will pick
wisely.  Per my other message on the general process, I'd suggest we add a good
generic sentence to the standing Requirements saying specialized expertise
relevant to the particular tasks of a given RT is highly desirable/preferred.

> Whois RT
> GAC Chair
> ICANN CEO
> 1 representative each from every SO and AC
> Independent experts (selected by the RT)
> Representative of law enforcement
> Global policy experts
> Do we want to propose 4 GNSO members for the Whois RT?    YES.  CG: AGREE
> WITH 4 TIM: AGREE W/ 4
Yes
> Because of the significance of this issue in the GNSO and the differences of
> views, I think we do need to propose 4 GNSO reps for this RT.   AGREE.  CG:
> AGREE TR: AGREE
> I am not sure what a 'global policy expert' is and wonder how that differs
> from 'independent experts'.  I think we should ask for clarification on this.
>   I ASSUME "GLOBAL POLICY EXPERT" IS SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE COVERED
> SUBJECTS.   INDEPENDENT EXPERT MAY BE A PLACEHOLDER TO GIVE THE SELECTORS
> FLEXIBILITY. CG: I IMAGINE IT IS SOMEONE WHO HAS A GOOD OVERVIEW KNOWLEDGE OF
> DIFFERENT DATA PROTECTION REGIMES. IN  ANY CASE, SEEKING CLARIFICATION IS A
> GOOD IDEA. TIM: YES CLARIFICATION, AND WHO IS ACTUALLY PROPOSING/SELECTING
> THEM?
Probably was just loose wording but yes let's clarify...

> Note that Janis would like GNSO feedback by 16 May. I am not sure that is
> possible.  I do think though that it would be helpful for us to make some
> recommendations on the above in time for the 20 May Council meeting so that
> the Council can consider the recommendations.
>
> Chuck

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance