ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ccwg-dt]

[gnso-ccwg-dt] JB on the revised draft charter

  • To: "Burr, Becky" <Becky.Burr@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mary Wong" <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ccwg-dt] JB on the revised draft charter
  • From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 12:16:40 -0700

 I have added my comments IN ALL CAPS.
 Thanks Becky, John and Mary for the quick turn-around on this.  Here is my
feedback.
 Is there a reason why we refer to '(Co-)Chairs' throughout the charter.  Why
not call them 'Co-Chairs'?  I agree/AS DO I
 Is it correct to assume that the Co-Chairs will be appointed from the Members
of the WG, in other words, they would be allowed to vote?  It might be good to
clarify this.  In my opinion, if the co-chairs represent their SO or AC, then
they should be allowed to vote by simply taking off their co-chair hast when
doing so; otherwise, the SO/AC would lose one of their voices when voting
occurs.  On the other hand, if the co-chairs are expected to serve specifically
in a completely neutral capacity, then they would not need to vote; in such a
case though, I don't think they should be included in the Minimum and Maximum
Member numbers.  I think it would be helpful to clarify these issues in the
charter.  Yes the co-chairs will be selected from the members and by the
members/AGREED
 I assume that they would be allowed to vote/YES
 although the question itself reflects an interesting difference in approach
between the ccnso and the gnso/DON'T WANT TO FOCUS ON THOSE PESKY DIFFERENCE AT
THE OUTSET
 Our task is to come up with a set of recommendations regarding process and
appropriate topics for cross constituency work - which necessarily precedes
(AND ACCOMMODATES?) policy development under both the GNSO and ccNSO rules.

 Am I correct in assuming that Observers need to be appointed just like
Members? If so, the following statement is fine: “Each of the participating SOs
and ACs shall appoint Participants to the WG in accordance with their own rules
and procedures.” If not (i.e., if Observers may participate without being
appointed by their SO/AC), then this probably should be changed to “Each of the
participating SOs and ACs shall appoint Members to the WG in accordance with
their own rules and procedures.”  If we say “in accordance with their own rules
and procedures” then doesn't that permit the respective SOs and ACs to choose
whether they want to appoint specific observers or whether they want to let
anyone who is interested participate as an observer?  I am guessing that the
ccNSO approach will be anyone who volunteers is welcome.  But I'm not sure how
the other SOs and ACs like to handle this/FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS WORKING
GROUP, WE WANT PARTICIPANTS TO BE OFFICIAL SO THAT THE FINDINGS WILL CARRY SOME
WEIGHT.  WITH AT LEAST SOMEONE IN THAT OFFICIAL CAPACITY, SELF-NOMINATED
OBSERVERS CAN BE ACCOMMODATED

 Regarding SOIs the charter says: “Participants from SOs or ACs for which a
Statement of Interest is required for participation in a WG shall submit an SOI
in accordance with the rules applicable to that SO/AC (if any).”  This seems to
imply that an SOI is not required if the applicable SO/AC doesn't require one.
I think an SOI should be required by all WG Participants and I assume that that
is what is intended.  Here's some possible rewording to make it clear:  “All
Participants must submit a Statement of Interest for participation in the WG.
Participants from SOs or ACs for which a Statement of Interest is required for
participation in a WG shall submit an SOI in accordance with the rules
applicable to that SO/AC (if any); others shall submit an SOI that provides
comparable information according to the rules of one of the SO/ACs for which
SOIs are required.”  I'm ok with that approach/AGREED; AN SOI IS AN IMPORTANT
PART OF THE LEGITIMACY OF THE WORKING GROUP.

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [gnso-ccwg-dt] RE: For your
review: revised draft charter
 Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
 1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
 Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  / becky.burr@xxxxxxxxxxx /
www.neustar.biz

[...]

members.  I assume that they would be allowed to vote, although the question
itself reflects an interesting difference in approach between the ccnso and the
gnso.  Our task is to come up with a set of recommendations regarding process
[...]

 Chuck