ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles
  • From: <tony.ar.holmes@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:15:56 +0100

For my part I've always struggled with the notion that the nomcom should
ever contemplate that their role is as a 'tie breaker' (where did that
come from?) I don't believe it was ever posited that way when the
initial approach was floated. All constituencies have equal ability to
be a tie breaker.

If that is the way this is now envisaged then both the nominating
process and the criteria needs drastic amendment. Perhaps there's a case
that the noncom ONLY vote whenever there is a tie on a major issues?

However I also struggle with the notion that the other parts of the GNSO
fall in to two clear categories; contracted parties and consumers.
Sticking broad labels on those groups is one of the biggest
misconceptions within ICANN. So far the IPC, BC and ISPs have been
called 'providers', 'IP Interest Group' and now linking with both the
NCUC and ALAC we all become 'consumers'. Its also worth saying that not
only have these terms been adopted by some parties when it suits their
interest, they're also dropped just as quickly when it suits as well.
The change in terminology used within the BCG process being a prime
example. The term 'providers' was dropped liked a hot brick after it was
repeatedly pointed out that the ISPs even have the word 'provider' in
their name.

The first step is to recognise there are separate and diverse grouping
within the GNSO. Attempting to put all the Constituencies in to two
groups except for the nomcom or 'the tie breakers' is a nonsense and it
isn't supported by the data either as Steve points out. Please don't
lose sight of the fact that one of the consequences of weighted voting
was that if any one of the IP, BC or ISPs ever voted separately, then
they all lost! Hardly an incentive, unless there was a very strong case
to do so.

Tony