ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles

  • To: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "Alan Greenberg" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:48:05 -0400

I would like to know which NomCom appointee has tended to vote similarly
to business users.  I hadn't noticed a trend like that but wasn't really
looking for it either.  Maybe it is clear from Alan's message that I
have not read yet.

I do not understand the logic of saying "To make the case for the
specific value of a Nomcom presence, you would have to show that Nomcom
appointees _as a group_ coalesced with different constituencies or
groups of constituencies in strategic ways to overcome deadlocks or push
the outcome in a specific direction. I don't see that."  It seems to
assume a couple of things that do not appear to me to be correct; in
particular, it seems to assume that : 1) the only value nomcom reps add
is to overcome deadlocks; 2) overcoming deadlocks can only happen if the
nomcom reps coalesce as a group in agreement with a constituency or
group of constituencies.  Regarding 1), the nomcom reps add excellent
value in providing perspectives that may be unique from constituency
views and in some cases providing expertise that others on the Council
do not have.  With regard to 2), if the nomcom reps are indeed
independent as I believe the NomCom intends when they select them, I
would expect that it would not be at all uncommon for them to diverge
rather than converge in their views, and the fact that they have not in
some cases is a good sign.

Chuck