ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Some Thoughts - resend with edit

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Some Thoughts - resend with edit
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:48:57 +0200

On 21 Jul 2008, at 17:55, Milton L Mueller wrote:

I find Avri's insistence on a specific number for Nomcom, as if it were a "constituency" or special interest group that deserves parity of representation, to be wrongheaded and not even consistent with the original basis for having nomcom. Nomcom's only function is to introduce independent, non constituency based perspectives. Nomcom is not an "interest" or stakeholder group that deserves a specific quantity of representation.

Wrongheaded as I might be, I will explain one more time as I believe my reasons are being maligned as part of a political argument.

- i do not think nomcom is a constituency or should be treated like one
- i do not think that nomcom is a special interest group or should be treated like one - i am not making claims for parity of representation, except that i think the nomcom appointees in each of the halves of the one house divided should be close to equal to each other. Though I guess it is fair to say, I also think the council would be better off with stronger NA participation because ICANN deserve a particular level of NA presence.

In fact it is just because they are not from constituencies and not from special interests group but people picked because they care about ICANN and promise to come and do their best for the public interest as they see it without being beholden to any special interest or constituency. Many, like myself, only volunteer after they have been recruited by the nomcom and have no prior interest in ICANN other then what they develop in the process of being volunteers.

My wrong headedness consists of thinking that it is ICANN that deserves independent thinking and voting in the crafting of policy. Just as the Board is partly made up of independent NAs I believe the policy recommendation group should be have a sufficient number of independent NAs to make a difference.

a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy