ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] Attempt at restructuring of Philip's paper

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx, "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] Attempt at restructuring of Philip's paper
  • From: "Bertrand de La Chapelle" <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:09:26 +0200

Dear all,

Following my comments on the call, please find below an attempt at
restructuring the document Philip prepared, with additions coming from the
discussion today. Principles C, D, E and F have been reintroduced in the
text.

Some elements have been suggested in addition, in particular a maximum size
of the Council. In addition, the term NomCom Representative has been
systematically replaced by NomCom appointees (as these people are not
representing the NomCom, which is not a constituency. Likewise, each house
is called a House and not a Council, but it's a suggestion.

I have separated (A) elements of apparent consensus at that stage (with some
elements to clarify) and (B) elements

Let me make clear that this is of course a good intentionned personal effort
to help foster consensus, and not an official position, let alone a GAC
position :-)

*
A) Elements of apparent consensus at that stage (as far as I understand),
apart from the expressions in brackets :*

1.Bicameral Structure

One GNSO Council with two voting "houses" - referred to as bicameral voting
- GNSO Council will meet as one, but houses may caucus on their own as they
see fit.

2. Composition

GNSO Council would have be divided into two voting houses :
  - Contracted Party House- registries, registrars, with equal number of
votes between registries and registrars
  - User House : commercial users, non-commercial users, with equal number
of votes between commercial and non-commercial users

Nom Com will designate one appointee on each house [and a non-voting Chair].

Each house will determine its own total number of seats, but no house should
have more than [twice] as many seats as the other.

The total number of seats on the Council must be no greater than [XX],
including Nom Com appointees.

3.Leadership
Each house will elect a GNSO vice-Chair [to asist the NomCom designated
non-voting Chair]

4.Board Elections
Contracted Parties house elects Seat 13 by a majority vote and User house
elects Seat 14 by a majority vote without Nominating Committee appointees
voting; BUT both sets may not be held by individuals who are employed by, an
agent of, or receive any compensation from an
ICANN-accredited registry or registrar, nor may they both be held by
individuals who are the appointed representatives to one of the GNSO user
stakeholder groups.

*B) The following points / principles do not seem to have consensus at that
stage and must be discussed further :*

5. Initiation of processes and decision making rules

This includes PRINCIPLES A and B :
A. No 1 of the 4 SGs should have a veto for any vote
B. Binding policy should have at least one vote of support from 3 of the 4
SGs

This includes also :
5. PDP votes based on different thresholds for different parts of the PDP
process and abiding by the principle above.
6. GNSO chair

Fundamentally, this is not a Council issue only, it is also a  PDP reform
question and should probably be considered as such.

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")