ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] 10 August 2011 Meeting of Consumer Metrics Project WG - Adobe Chat room transcript

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] 10 August 2011 Meeting of Consumer Metrics Project WG - Adobe Chat room transcript
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:58:33 -0700

Brian Peck: 10 August 2011 Meeting of Consumer Metrics Project WG

Steve DelBianco: Hi.  could we post the draft charter as well?

Steve DelBianco: draft charter is at
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/cci-draft-charter-21jul11-en.pdf

CLO: hi  on the call now

CLO: Steves observation on the Process  vs substance issue is very important
points  to recognise but it IS of course as Rosemary says not a PDP   etc.,
and  of course  ICANN will continue  to keep heading in more of a CWG model in
many issues in the future...

CLO: Yup  ++++ to Rosemary on this  we theWG  just keep on keeping on

Steve DelBianco: quoting Jack Ingram, the songwriter!

Glen de Saint Gery: please see http://gnso.icann.org/issues  New gTLDsConsumers
Choice, Competition and Innovation Drafting Team

Margie Milam: Steve-  I'll update the definition of consumer in the next
version of this document

CLO: Based on the letter form Lesley however on current topic/agenda item *just
finished*  I will raise via the ccNSO Members list after raising it as ALAC
Liaison to the ccNSO Council at the meeting next week to see if some cc
operators may wish to contribute to this discussion at any meeting held in
Dakar for example...  I'll get back to this WG ion any outcome

CLO: As well as feed it into ALAC At-Large work on it *obviously*

CLO: So Steve  following on from our agreement in Trust deffinitions then,  we
would be asking for Audit  then :?

CLO: complience  *++*

CLO: we will need a base level measure  then *if we can get it*   do perhaps a
general trust in the "internet" type  survey  for some base line data

Michael Salazar: Good point Steve - so...does it have to be one definition or
the other or can we combine your definition with what Wendy proposes? Seems to
be 2 separate approaches

CLO: a do we (as Consumers) get "what it says on the packet"

Steve DelBianco: I really believe Wendy's definition is implied in everything
ICANN does for the DNS.   It isn't something new in the new gTLD program.  So I
would not work too hard to incorporate stability into the Trust term

CLO: a Hybrid  (or sub set perhaps mpre correctly)  approach  wouod work from
my POV  Michael

Michael Salazar: As long as "everyone" understands that then I agree...but not
everyone, meaning most Internet users, might understand what you are saying.

CLO: Steve implied is different to "clearly inderstood and definned though"

CLO: end user / consumer understanding is always  going to be a variable/ issue
Michael

CLO:   I like +++  where Steve is heading woth the measures options  atm   this
contract measure base would  be very useful   IMO

Michael Salazar: Perhaps I am casting too wide of net with "everyone" but I
think a number of organizations, governments, etc might not get this...although
I suppose that education could be handled differently

CLO: OK  with that definition Michael  the variability should be easier to
manage, measure and modify as needed then

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Wendy's definition is a subset of the BC definition
that is purely a technical issue

CLO: can we invite  Pam or someone  from Compliance to  brief this WG  on
current state and any thought they might have had on these matters

Steve DelBianco: Review 9.3: when new gTLDs have been in operation for one
year, ICANN will organize a review to examine the extent to which the
introduction or expansion of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust and
consumer choice, and effectiveness of (a) the application and evaluation
process, and (b) safeguards put in place to mitigate issues involved in the
introduction or expansion.

Steve DelBianco: good idea CLO

CLO: +++  to what Steve is raising now...

Margie Milam: I am updating this document as we speak to capture these good
ideas

CLO: Margie  You ARE my Hero

Margie Milam: :)

Steve DelBianco: Margie, would you please paste at the top of your document:
the Board resolution on CCI, and paragrpah 9.3 of teh Affirmation.

Margie Milam: yes

Michael Salazar: Side note: A literal read of 9.3 point is a little confusing
to me to be honest.  It appears that a review will be conducted of 1) the
application and evaluation process and of 2) the safeguards put in place to
mitigate risks involved with expansion.

Margie Milam: I'll add a brief background

Margie Milam: that includes those sections

Steve DelBianco: thanks.  Be sure to include the actual text

Michael Salazar: how do those two areas provide some measurement of
competition, consumer trust, and conusmer choice?

CLO: WOW  use of inclusive languiage AND a new piece of technology ON the same
call  now that IS impressive ;-)

CLO: Michael   by those two areas  are you refering to  points 1) and 2)  from
the AoC  parts 9.3

CLO: just so I can frame the question properly to consider answer options

Michael Salazar: was referring to what Steve had pasted in chat

CLO: OK  so it is  9.3  from AoC

CLO: thanks

CLO: my reading is  that they have a nexus  but not a specific measure  thus
the  'and' language  used =>  organize a review to examine the extent to which
the introduction or expansion of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust
and consumer choice, [AND] {my emphasis}  effectiveness of (a) the application
and evaluation process, and (b) safeguards put in place to mitigate issues
involved in the introduction or expansion."

Steve DelBianco: michael -- do you concur with my distiction between choice
(consumer options) and competition (supplier diversity)

Michael Salazar: that makes sense...the cut and paste in chat did not include
"And"..

CLO: I agree  Steve

Michael Salazar: Steve, yes

Michael Salazar: CLO - nevermind my previous comment.  I need my reading glasses

CLO: or as I do so often increase the font  size on screen ;-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: :-)

Margie Milam:
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/rationale-economic-studies-21mar11-en.pdf

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Isn't this already being done by Compliance?

Steve DelBianco: confusability?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: no the basic metrics on contractual compliance

Steve DelBianco: Margie: 2.1 defintion of Consumer should include registrants
and internet users

CLO: Good Call TEAM  Thanks....

Steve DelBianco: thanks, Olivier.  Appreciate that

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://gnso.icann.org