ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript CCI 07 Feb 2012

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript CCI 07 Feb 2012
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:02:14 -0800

  Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 7 FEB Consumer Metrics call.
  Jonathan Robinson:Hi.  It's Jonathan.  A long lost participant!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi  Jonathan :-)
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Can we mute all microphones to avoid an echo please?
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:done
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am muted
  Jonathan Robinson:You're coming through nice and clear Cheryl
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I suspect the bird noise is as well though...
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Yes it is! :)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:IF the morning chorus  is an issue  mute me and I'll get
you to unmute  as needed  as I said
  Berry Cobb:Steve, perhaps we should label the blanks as "none"?
  Paul Redmond:might want to write 'None Anticipated' in blanks
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:The format  gats a big  tick from me
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and  yes  agree  woth the none  or none noted
  Jonathan Robinson:Helpful.  Thanks Steve.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'd rather have this measure proposed  and  hopefullyb a
start point assessment  attached  ( and qulaitative  ois  not a problem  here
IMO  as it is a 'soft  deffinition)'  then future comparisons  are more
meaningful in the future
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and  YES  what Jonathan  R  is  pointing oit  now EXACTLY
the  ccTLD 've' use parameters  we  ould  suggest are used
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it  would need to be sampled and comparisons be made  in
"like"  purpose TLDs
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I also support the  'test / audit' mechanism  beinng
discussed now between  Jonathan R  & Steve
  Jonathan Robinson:OK
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am getting several people speaking at once
  Steve DelBianco (BC):I think Jonathan R and I are saying we audit the
TRANSPARENCY of terms & conditions.  Not the "clarity" since that is more
subjective
  Berry Cobb:I will take a look, but I do not recall any requirement like that.
  Jonathan Robinson:Agreed.  Split transparency and clarity split
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:NEED TO STEP AWAY.. back soon
  Berry Cobb:XXX is a use case.
  Berry Cobb:Given issues with WHOIS & Privacy/Proxy, I see it as extremely
difficult to determine who existing registrants are.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I like this measure. I do not know how it will be
undertaken since current Whois Data is so unreliable
  Berry Cobb:Rt from developing countries will also be influenced as these
countries continue to increase access to internet
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:back in  Sorry to leave  for a moment
  Berry Cobb:going from 1Billion users to 3Billion is the predicted trend over
the next five years.
  Berry Cobb:It will require Registries to provide access to Zonefiles before
open registration.  As it stands now, Ry only allows access post sunrise and on
day of open registration/general availability
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I agree  the 'redirect'  measure is a valuable  and
reflects some aspects of Consumer  as well as registrant Choice, but also
defensive regos ( but also  ones mAde for bRANDING  OR CHANGE OF IMAGE  ENTER
TO NEW MARKETS  ETC.,  OPTIONS
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sorry CPAS
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: But  go as a Choice metrik still and therefore valid
  Berry Cobb:DomainTools is probably the best source.  I have seen where they
offer reports of domains registered by email address.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:***  to that  getting the data if possible  as important
@OCL
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I Agree with OCL here...
  Berry Cobb:A Registrant can use a new email address to register a new domain,
but we still do not have a clean way to determine if it is really a new
Registrant.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes  Steve  the survey is a GOOD option again here
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Cheryl, your line has been muted.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:So I gathered when I tried to speak...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:;-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:This measure would not be about   Bad Actors  though
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I agree we should  be taking  this measure  is important
as long as we are measurig betwwen Like purpose and variable (perhaps) National
Laws
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:YES  Like Purpose  to LIKE  PURPOSE  is essential
  Nathalie  Peregrine:I have unluted you Cheryl
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:OK  thanks  Nathalie
  Jonathan Robinson:Registrant choice of equivalent TLDs within any given
jurisdiction AND registrant choice of registrars (by jurisdiction) within any
given TLD
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:why not put  BITH on the list
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:BITH = BOTH
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Yes put Both
  Berry Cobb:With exception of a respresentative sample, regardless of THICK
WHOIS or not, Privacy/Proxy services will present a chanllenge on gathering
diveristy of geo.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:but would privacy/proxy services only affect a small
subset of all registrations?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I would  think so OCL
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:so would that subset be large enough to significantly
change our results?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:many  NEW  registrants  care factor on the use of  or NEED
for use of P&P  is  bugger all
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I agree with Berry
  Berry Cobb:Yes CLO.  Im far far far from compeition expert  :-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:So a Count of N= x in LIKE  purposed  TLDS?
  Berry Cobb:Whether or not this metric is a function of competition, it will
provide a basis for many of the metrics.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:then also a measure of Effective  Competition as well
sectioned out
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes  @ Berry  I do NOT want to LOSE the Measure
  Berry Cobb:so for the 3 yr target, how about % of gTLDs in operation over x
time period.  While I dont like 100% number, but if all gTLD were avail after 3
years, isnt that a function of fair and healthy competition?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes the  "maturity of the market"  is also a  variable here
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes  Rosemary  that  'rider  for year  #+  would be good
to promote
  Berry Cobb:LOL
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:so perhaps a future  nin parametric analyis between the
Quantity raw figures and the effectivness of the Market Rivalry  might be
proposed ??
  Berry Cobb:Hmmm.
  Berry Cobb:I'm still just wondering if the targets are a declining % of
failed TLDs, ROs and Rr.
  Berry Cobb:if the providers are not failing and maintaining operations, isnt
that a function of healthy competition?
  Berry Cobb:perfect state is 0 failures, absent of planned consolidation.
  Berry Cobb:I was just going to use that word.  Stumpped.  :-)
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Happy too yes
  Jonathan Robinson:Thanks Rosemary, Steve and others
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks All