ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Consumercci-dt 12 June 2012

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Consumercci-dt 12 June 2012
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:08:25 -0700

  Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 12 June 2012 Consumer Metrics Conference Call
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Hello everyone. I am currently on another call and
will switch over shortly
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Rosemary, will you need a dial out for this call?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi all
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:here now
  Berry Cobb:we have used "applicable national laws" 12 times in our draft
advice
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:happy with APPLICABLE.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Not with further 'issues'
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Measures of Innovation is important but not IN the
definition
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I would also not go down the 'freedom of expression road '
 ICANN Policies is fine
  Berry Cobb:If the WG feels that no change is needed, or if Wendy feels that
the change does not cover their concern, a Minority Statement can be appended
to the Advice Letter.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yup some of us have done ALL THIS before
  Berry Cobb:Consumer Trust is defined as the confidence registrants and
Internet users  have in the domain name system. This includes (i) trust in the
consistency of name resolution (ii) confidence that a TLD registry operator is
fulfilling its proposed purpose and is complying with ICANN policies and
applicable national laws and (iii) confidence in ICANN’s compliance function
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes Rosemary good point re the USG comment driven changes
we have made
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:excellent  fine with that
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes the baseline for comparison IS important to 'pick up'
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:accept but also take stock of the current 'stats on
language /use
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:MUST have a baseline data set from NOW to show +ve change
post new gTLD
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:VERY happy with the latter terminology :-) :-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:in terms of proportion/ratio becoming or changing
tonreflectbusage patterns
  Jonathan Robinson:I have to leave call now.  Thanks all.  Sorry to miss
Steve.  Will aim to join again tomorrow.  Jonathan.
  Rosemary:thanks jonathon
  Berry Cobb:I do beleive there will be a small # of IDN Geographics, that will
require the local govt blessing to apply for.
  Michael R Graham:I can understand this.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:value on teasing out the IDNs in NEW cc:gTLDs
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:just got disconnected and there is NO AC room audio
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:back thanks
  Nathalie  Peregrine:the operator is dialling out to you
  Nathalie  Peregrine:great
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup happy with that as Action note
  Berry Cobb:http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Hello, everyone. Sorry I'm late to the call
  Berry Cobb:there is only one metric that remains that states" do not count
privacy proxy registrations)  All others, the WG agreed to remove.
  Michael R Graham:I have to step out for a moment.
  Berry Cobb:The reminder here, is that not all registrations in sunrise may
equate to a defensive registration.  I think this needs to be nailed down
before we lock down a three year target.
  Tobias Mahler 2:The study is here:
http://archive.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/phase-two-economic-considerations-03dec10-en.pdf
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Berry -- per your comment on Sunrise = Defensive.
Let's soften the language to show Sunrise is one inidcation of defensive
registration.
  Steve DelBianco (BC):or, one potential indication...
  Berry Cobb:As a reminder, we do have survey listed in Choice....gTLD registry
benefits and restrictions should be clear and understandable to registrants and
users.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:would efficiency be an alt term to ease?
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Survey of perceived ease by which users locate desired
content and websites,  relative to pre-expansion TLD space.
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Survey users to measure their perceived ease and
effectiveness in locating a desired website or content, relative to
pre-expansion TLD space
  Berry Cobb:Perhaps it is me, but this is getting back to "search" and
"content"...which are out of scope for ICANN, yes?
  Berry Cobb:but that is for finding things or content.  Choice is only in the
registration of domain names, yes?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes to 1st one
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:(clearly I'm on mute) :-)
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Choice, as exercised by Registrants and Users.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:are wit Steve and OCL
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:you could have 'artifice in that measure IMO
  Berry Cobb:we will have to exlude brands
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:OCL and I have another call now
  Steve DelBianco (BC):The USG comments suggest they want us to measure Traffic
as a metric for Competition
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:as long as the Limits are recognized. sure BUT. that is
also snapshot stuff
  Steve DelBianco (BC):Agree with OCL that we should suggest external data
sources
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes let's start here next call
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye all