ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Consumer Metrics: notes from presentation to GNSO Council, 23-Jun-2012

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Consumer Metrics: notes from presentation to GNSO Council, 23-Jun-2012
  • From: Rosemary Sinclair <rosemary.sinclair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:01:33 +0000

Hi all

Issue re Costs and Benefits

USG focused on Economic costs and benefits...looking for overall net increase
in social welfare for whole community. Key factor here is timeframe used and
inclusion of "externalities" when assessing costs and benefits

GNSO councillors (some of) focused on ACCOUNTING type costs and
benefits...price of gTLD, price of registration, cost to defend trademark etc.
This is a different analysis and much shorter term, not using discount rates etc

Just for sake of completeness there are other perspectives thru which to do
Cost Benefit Analysis eg

Tax perspective on costs
Regulator perspective for rate setiing
Annual Report perspective ...think Enron, think Glkbal Crossing...think ratings
agencies ....

I have re-read Econ Fwk doc in last couple of days

We should stay away from this playing field .....look fwd to more chatter on
this one!

Enjoy Prague!

Rosemary

Cheers