ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] Another meeting required?

  • To: <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Another meeting required?
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:43:52 -0700

Team,

Given the dialogue on the list, shall I schedule another meeting for us to
meet?  If so, let me know and I can send out a Doodle.  Else, we have until
November 7th to submit the Advice Letter to the Council for consideration at
the November 15th meeting.

With respect to the metrics identified in the Advice Letter, I'd like to
remind everyone that one of the key messages in the advice is that a future
AoC Review Team will make the final decisions about what metrics are used to
conduct the review.  From the letter:

"The Working Group understands that the purpose of this advice is to provide
the ICANN Board with definitions, measures, and targets that could be useful
to the Affirmation review team that will convene one year after new gTLDs
are launched.  However, the Working Group understands that this advice
cannot pre-determine or otherwise limit the scope of the future Affirmation
review team.  Additionally, this advice is not intended to recommend policy
changes or policy development needs.  "

I do not want to minimize the WG efforts in identifying the proposed
metrics, but in essence the proposed metrics at this point is just a
"starter list."  The future Review Team will finalize which metrics are
required to conduct the review across Consumer Trust, Consumer Choice, and
Competition.  Further, the Review Team will spend a considerable amount of
time to not only identify which metrics are used, but the complete
requirements of each metric will have to be flushed out.  The team will need
to research the source owner of the data, the systems required to collect
the data, how the metric will be presented, and the possible factors that
may influence its result in addition to cost considerations.  As an example,
after seeing results of a particular Consumer Choice metric, the future
Review Team may in fact have to modify the scope of gTLD types being
measured (e.g. whether Brand TLDs influence the result or a defined target).

The bottom line, each of these metrics (perhaps excluding surveys) will
require a base source listing of each TLD that is delegated.  This base
listing will contain TLD type (Brand, Geographic, IDN, etc.) in addition to
other meta-data.  As the Review Team analyzes certain metrics, they will
have the option to poll the entire universe of gTLDs/ccTLDs or specifically
select a TLD type that best meets the final requirements of the stated
metric.  Systems are being built now in support of the gTLD program and as
such will likely be the primary source.

In close, there is a high probability that the future Review Team will
accept most if not all of the proposed metrics offered in the advice.
Regardless, it is not the mandate of this WG to create a finalized list.
Continued efforts to refine these metrics may likely not return value given
the larger tasks ahead of the future Review Team.

ICANN Staff will be happy to assist the WG however it wishes to proceed.

I hope this is helpful to the discussion.

Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb

720.839.5735

mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx