ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter

  • To: "'Evan Leibovitch'" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 20:05:12 -0500

Evan,

Consumer reports reviews how products and services actually work...not whether
or not the companies have certain things on their labels....which is akin to
what you are asking.

If there is a problem with spam, malware, there should be an abuse point of
contact.  Totally agree and that is in the Guidebook already.  It is a
requirement, easily measurable, applicants know they have to do it...great!
But you leap to the conclusion that a consumer is going to want to know the
registration policies and the benefits of the TLD.  How did you arrive there?
What are you basing that on?  Is that something you "want" to know or something
you need to know?  As a consumer, you want to stop the spam.  How Neustar
delegated the name in the first place is not relevant to the average consumer.
When law enforcement comes to me as operator of the .biz TLD, they don't ask me
how was the name delegated.  They don't read our registry site.  They ask me
how can I find the person responsible and how can we stop it.  That can be
measured objectively by looking at the Whois service, the accuracy of the Whois
information, etc. That is appropriate and should be measured.

Going back to consumer reports, if you want to measure how well something
works, the types of services you get, how helpful customer support is, what you
can do with space...then have at it.  That makes total sense.  But I have yet
to see a consumer reports article (and yes I am a subscriber)' that ranks a
camera for example on what its terms and conditions are for buying the camera
in the first place.

I think we are going around in circles on this criteria.  I appreciate your
insight into this, but cannot support your point of view on this one.  If it
causes you and the ALAC not to support the letter, I would find that a little
disappointing, but understand your decision.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman

Sent from iPad.  Please excuse any typos.