ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg]

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Re: FOR REVIEW: Draft PDP WG Charter

  • To: "Dillon, Chris" <c.dillon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Re: FOR REVIEW: Draft PDP WG Charter
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 06:39:34 -0700

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your helpful reply.  To your first question, the need for
inclusion of non-ASCII contact data is to enable those people who use
non-ASCII scripts to be able to access those data.  For example, if I use
the Arabic script, I may still wish to be able to contact the domain name
registration owner.  If that contact information is only in ASCII script, it
may not be accessible to me.  If, however, it can appear in a non-ASCII
script, then I will be able to see and use the information.  The issue in
the PDP how should this be accomplished and who should bear the burden.
Also, should one simply transliterate the information, or should one also
translate it?  The IRD-WG didn't address security implications concerning
the provision of non-ASCII data, but the Charter DT could decide whether
that is in the scope of the work for the PDP-WG.  It may be, however, that
the issue of security of internationalized registration data in general will
be covered under another WG.

In particular, there is a WG that is starting up that is tasked with
determining the requirements for internationalized registration data (IRD)
and producing a data model for IRD.  It relates to the task in the Board's
Action Plan relating to its 08 November 2012 resolution that directed staff
to: 1) task a working group to determine the appropriate internationalized
domain name registration data requirements, evaluating any relevant
recommendations from the SSAC or GNSO; 2) produce a data model that includes
(any) requirements for the translation or transliteration of the
registration data, taking into account the results of any PDP initiated by
the GNSO on translation/ transliteration, and the standardized replacement
protocol under development in the IETF¹s Webbased Extensible Internet
Registration Data Working Group; 3) evaluate available solutions (including
solutions being implemented by ccTLDs).  Thus, the results of the PDP on
translation and transliteration of contact information will be considered by
this WG.

To your second question, the 5th model was suggested not by the IRD-WG but
in a comment received in the public form on the preliminary report when it
was published.  Thus, it was not part one of the models discussed in the
original report.

I hope that this is helpful.

Best regards,

Julie