ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg]

RE: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] FOR REVIEW: Revised Draft PDP WG Charter

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] FOR REVIEW: Revised Draft PDP WG Charter
  • From: vinay kumar singh <vinaysingh85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:32:35 +0530

Dear Julie & Colleagues,

Greetings of the day!!!

As discussed in the previous meeting I have listed the Legal Issues that may
arise during the Translation and Transliteration process of Contact and Postal
Information.

1- The contact information consist of three details namely:
    a. Owner Contact and Postal Information
    b. Admin Contact and Postal Information
    c. Technical Contact and Postal Information

Legal Issue: Which one of these Contact and Postal Information will be
considered as "Legal Contact and Postal Information".

2- While Translation and Transliteration process of Contact and Postal
Information is being performed their might arise a situation where such process
may result into inadequate information.

Example Transliteration: ‘street’ in Chinese is ‘街’(U+8857 ) or ‘路’ (U+8DEF).
It would be transliterated into “jie” or “lu.”

Legal Issue: The inadequate information may raise legal implications, when
referring to dispute related to a particular domain as the name and contact
details may have changed during the Translation and Transliteration process.

Probable Solution:

The Contact and Postal Information which constitutes a "Legal Contact and
Postal Information" would be allowed to be present in a "must be present"
format on which no Translation and Transliteration process can be performed,
while the other contact and postal information may be translated/transliterated
as they would be only for informational purpose and no legal implication would
arise.

Regards,
Vinay Kumar Singh
Student: LL.B. with Honors in Intellectual Property

Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

India

Mobile: +91 8509 227 666