ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-council-draft2]

Re: [council] Rodenbaugh Comment re GNSO Restructure Amendments to ICANN Bylaws

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Rodenbaugh Comment re GNSO Restructure Amendments to ICANN Bylaws
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:56:48 -0400

On 24 Aug 2009, at 12:25, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

Yet it is those "Non-Contracting" commercial interests that essentially fund
by far the greatest portion of ICANN's budget through their domain
registration fees, and it is those commercial interests that make domain
names valuable.

I question whether this is true or not and wonder if there have been any studies done.

Yes, it is certain that registrants provide most all of ICANN funds.

But are most registrants, those providing the ICANN share of the registration fee, commercial or non-commercial? organizations or individuals?

My expectation is that it is individuals, but I would be curious to know if there is any fact based data on this.