ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] Conflicts between Whois escrow requirements and data protection laws

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] Conflicts between Whois escrow requirements and data protection laws
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:13:39 -0500

Marika,

Thanks for the clarification. The escrow questions are new to me, but I have to
wonder what would happen if ICANN weren't able to find a registrar that could
comply with Russian laws.

We can treat this situation either as irrelevant or as an example of where
privacy laws did create an issue with standard Whois processes, even if a
workaround was the solution instead of an ICANN waiver. For discussion. The
call obviously will be on one of the days mentioned for next week. Please enter
your preferences in the Doodle poll if you haven't already.

Don