ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] 0429 draft

  • To: "gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] 0429 draft
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:39:51 -0400

I have attached a draft incorporating Carlton's changes and adding a
comment to his comment, and following most of Steve's edits.

I realize that I am violating the "deal with only what is" caveat, but I
do want to address the draft RAA. The proposed amendments concerning
privacy conflict do apply only to collection and retention. However, two
other sections might apply.

3.2.1 Alternate Data Elements has a number of change related to registrars
and registries being able to specify, with ICANN approval, publication of
a set of Whois data elements that is not the norm. A question might be
raised whether such an agreement could be used to limit what is published
if the Rr and Ry agree about data protection issues. I think that such an
argument would be a stretch, especially since the new language strikes me
as more of a clarification rather than an amendment.

3.3.1 Port 43 services are now required from registrars only in thin
registries. For the sake of argument, and noting that I blanked on why we
talked about Port 43 on a call, could we conclude that data protection
levels would be different in thin vs thick registries? If so, should we
mention the potential amendment in a footnote?

I will send this version to Mikey, with a note that we have some pending
issues that will be resolved by next week. I'm not sure that we have
enough likely callers to make a call worthwhile this week. I will call in
if anybody wants to participate in a working session concerning a new
draft that may appear magically tomorrow night or Monday morning. However,
I will ask only for a phone line rather than have a formal subteam call. I
hope that the ATRT gods aren't cringing.

Don