ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] a new wrinkle

  • To: "gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] a new wrinkle
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 08:30:09 -0400

I'm not suggesting that we revisit anything but I'll pass along a question for
your entertainment that somebody from Europe raised this morning when we were
talking about a CENTR panel that I'm trying to put together. How might laws
governing a third party back end provier affect analyses?

I can think of a few possible ways to address the practicalities but it's an
interesting question. A law professor could go nuts. What if the back end
physical operations are in one jurisdiction but the BEO (back end operator) HQ
is elsewhere? What if the HQ is in one country, it's tech staff is another, and
the physical plant is in a third (a real situation)? And so on.

I have a headache. Talk with some of you on the WG call.

Don