ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] Fwd: Marie-laure Lemineur has sent you Lexology article 'EU asserts jurisdiction over Google's servers'

  • To: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>, gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] Fwd: Marie-laure Lemineur has sent you Lexology article 'EU asserts jurisdiction over Google's servers'
  • From: Marie-laure Lemineur <mllemineur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:40:03 -0600

Dear Don and all,

I thought this article below would interest you.

The independent Advocate General of the European Court of Justice issued a
legal opinion (not binding on the EU Court of Justice) that the EU Data
Protection Directive applies to search engines that contain data of EU citizens
even if the servers are located physically outside the EU.

If we read this opinion bearing in mind the latest letter from Article 29
Working Party to ICANN CEO, it looks like at some point we might  end up with a
system where there will be a two- tier RAA when it comes to registrars'
contractual  obligations related to data retention of individual registrants.

Best,

Marie-laure

Enviado desde mi iPad

Inicio del mensaje reenviado: