ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-dow123] RE: questions for 3/15 discussion re recommendation 2

• To: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] RE: questions for 3/15 discussion re recommendation 2
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:05:17 -0500

Thanks, Steve.

A reminder to everyone that if you have questions for the staff on this topic that you would like addressed on next week's call please submit them by the end of today.

Jordyn

On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Steven J. Metalitz IIPA wrote:

This is in response to the request to submit questions to the ICANN staff in advance of the scheduled discussion with them on next Tuesday re Recommendation 2 (see http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-tf-conflict -30nov04.pdf).

I have no disagreement with the first three points in the December 20 memo (below). The Task Force 1/2 tried to give the matter "careful study," as point 3 calls for, but I am sure our work product could be improved.

As I read points 4 and 5 of the December 20 memo, the principal concerns seem to be:

(A) The provision in bullet iii of Step Three that lays down a "general rule" regarding the General Counsel's recommendation (also applicable in Step Four)

(B) The requirement that enforcement action against a non-compliant registrar in these circumstances be taken only with the approval of the Board of Directors

(C) The expectation that the recommendation to the Board would (at least "ordinarily," see Step Five) be made public

(D) The allocation of certain duties to the General Counsel rather than other parts of the ICANN staff

I believe it would be useful to ask the staff who will be participating in the discussion whether in fact these are their principal substantive concerns with the recommendation. In my personal view these are all quite legitimate questions on which it would be beneficial to get the perspectives of responsible members of the ICANN staff. However if there are other concerns it would be essential to surface them as soon as possible.

Regarding point 6 of the December 20 memo, it might be useful to clarify that it was not the assumption of the task force (though it may be the view of some of its members) that the current Whois system, or any of the improvements that are under discussion, are not in "the broadest possible harmony with local regulations." There are differing views on the Task Force about the likelihood or the potential merits of any claim that the current policy conflicts with local law, but there was broad support for the idea of developing a procedure for dealing with such claims, if and when they arose, rather than handling them on an ad hoc basis. To the extent that point 6 expresses a view about the priorities chosen by the Task Force, I believe the Task Force should welcome these views but that it would not be a fruitful topic for conversation next Tuesday.

Steve Metalitz

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Glen De Saint Géry
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:47 PM
To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-dow123] [Fwd: Staff response to Recommendation 2]

The mail requested on the call.
Regards
Glen

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

[dow1-2tf] ICANN Response
To: <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [dow1-2tf] ICANN Response
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:36:36 -0500
Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread-index: AcTm0DORpYJNaZrVQ1qLEK9FRFAsUwAAsZKAAAAgFyA=

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Title: FW:
All,

Lets be prepared to discuss the significance of this response on the call tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jeff
Sent:   20 December 2004 21:12
To:     'dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; 'jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Cc:     'Bruce Tonkin'; 'Dan Halloran'; 'Barbara Roseman';
'gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject:

TO: Task Force 1/2 co-chair

Dear Jordyn,

I have consulted with our operations and legal staff, and have developed the following informal feedback concerning Task Force 1/2's draft
recommendation:

1. Registries and registrars should of course not enter contracts that would be illegal for them to perform.

2. Fair competition rules dictate that registries and registrars should not be able to gain a competitive advantage by choosing to operate from a jurisdiction that has purportedly outlawed compliance with part of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement.

3. Without careful study, action to address the concerns raised by TF1/2 could open loopholes to compliance with the RAA that would hurt data accuracy, consumer protection, and other authorised uses of Whois data.

4. The recommendation is drafted broadly, and could be read to require ICANN to allow violations of the RAA except to preserve stability or security. The draft report appears to give registrars and registries the right to unilaterally breach the RAA, as long as they give notice to ICANN. ICANN would be unable to take any reaction to ensure compliance without formal action by the Board of Directors, following a process that includes publishing a report that could contain priviliged and confidential legal advice from ICANN's attorneys.

5. The recommendation posits specific activities for the ICANN General Counsel's office, and prescribes actions to the GC's office which may be dealt with more appropriately by policy development, registrar/registry liaison or ICANN's Global Partnerships departments. The specificity of actions described also seems like micro-management of ICANN staff resources in what is supposed to be a policy discussion.

6. In light of the serious concerns meant to be addressed by the recommendation, and the issues outlined above with the initially suggested approach, might it be preferable to focus GNSO attention on developing improvements to Whois policies that will allow for the broadest possible harmony with local regulations, and then continue to leave it up to individual companies to determine whether they can undertake the obligations set forth in ICANN policies and agreements in light of local requirements?

Thank you for asking for our feedback. I hope this is helpful to you and the task force. I look forward to providing further assistance as you may require.

Best regards,
Paul

B-1040 Brussels, Belgium
Tel.: +32.2.234 7872
Fax: +32.2.234 7848
www.icann.org

-- Glen de Saint Géry GNSO Secretariat - ICANN gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org http://gnso.icann.org

-- Glen de Saint Géry ICANN glen[at]icann.org http://www.icann.org

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy