ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Staff and task force responses to recommendation on Conflict with local law]

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Staff and task force responses to recommendation on Conflict with local law]
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:27:53 +0100

[To: gnso-dow123[at]gnso.icann.org]

For your convenience I have put together on one mail the staff response
and the task force discussion that followed on recommendation 2:
A Procedure for conflicts, when there are conflicts between a
registrar's of registry's legal obligations under local privacy laws and
their contractual obligations to ICANN.
http://www.gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-tf-conflict-30nov04.pdf

Email from Paul Verhoef to Task Force 1/2 co-chair 20 December 2004

Dear Jordyn,

I have consulted with our operations and legal staff, and have developed
the following informal feedback concerning Task Force 1/2's draft
recommendation:

1. Registries and registrars should of course not enter contracts that
would be illegal for them to perform.

2. Fair competition rules dictate that registries and registrars should
not be able to gain a competitive advantage by choosing to operate from
a jurisdiction that has purportedly outlawed compliance with part of the
Registrar Accreditation Agreement.

3. Without careful study, action to address the concerns raised by TF1/2
could open loopholes to compliance with the RAA that would hurt data
accuracy, consumer protection, and other authorised uses of Whois data.

4. The recommendation is drafted broadly, and could be read to require
ICANN to allow violations of the RAA except to preserve stability or
security.  The draft report appears to give registrars and registries
the right to unilaterally breach the RAA, as long as they give notice to
ICANN.  ICANN would be unable to take any reaction to ensure compliance
without formal action by the Board of Directors, following a process
that includes publishing a report that could contain priviliged and
confidential legal advice from ICANN's attorneys.

5. The recommendation posits specific activities for the ICANN General
Counsel's office, and prescribes actions to the GC's office which may be
dealt with more appropriately by policy development, registrar/registry
liaison or ICANN's Global Partnerships departments. The specificity of
actions described also seems like micro-management of ICANN staff
resources in what is supposed to be a policy discussion.

6. In light of the serious concerns meant to be addressed by the
recommendation, and the issues outlined above with the initially
suggested approach, might it be preferable to focus GNSO attention on
developing improvements to Whois policies that will allow for the
broadest possible harmony with local regulations, and then continue to
leave it up to individual companies to determine whether they can
undertake the obligations set forth in ICANN policies and agreements in
light of local requirements?

Thank you for asking for our feedback.  I hope this is helpful to you
and the task force.  I look forward to providing further assistance as
you may require.

Best regards,
Paul

Task force 1/2 discussion during meeting on 21 December 2004
http://www.gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1-2tf/msg00192.html

1. Jeff Neuman suggested starting the meeting with reference to the
staff response from Paul Verhoef on the task force recommendations on a
Procedure for conflicts

The following comments were made: (taken from Barbara Roseman's notes)

Point 1:
Registries and registrars should of course not enter contracts that
would be illegal for them to perform.

Paul Stahura: statement is correct, but what about after the agreement
is signed, and either the agreement changes, or national law changes?
What happens then? That is the point of the recommendation.

Milton Mueller: Staff wants to be the policy maker and there is no
flexibility in the terms of the contract. If the bottom-up process
decides that exceptions are allowed, then ICANN should follow that
decision.

Tom Keller: Trying to build a process in the case when legislation comes
up that makes part of the contract illegal when it wasn't illegal
before. Can't make policy for everything, just set guidelines.

Jeff Neumann: Agree with all points raised, ICANN is sending message
that while registries and registrars are bound by bottom-up process,
ICANN is not. If you live in a country where the national law conflicts
with an ICANN requirement, then you basically cannot be an ICANN
accredited registry or registrar. Understand that they don't want to
introduce loopholes to the contracts, want to be able to enforce the
contracts, they still need to recognize that this is a problem. Did you
really intend to frame it this way?

Steve Metalitz: Need to have a dialogue with John Jeffrey and Paul
Verhoef. Seems they don't understand what was trying to be achieved.
Can't be as black and white as if the National law conflicts with the
Registrars Accreditation Agreement (RAA) that you can't be an accredited
registrar. Jeff Neumann: there are some registrars who don't currently
comply with the Registrars Accreditation Agreement , what is their status?

Point 2:
Fair competition rules dictate that registries and registrars should not
be able to gain a competitive advantage by choosing to operate from a
jurisdiction that has purportedly outlawed compliance with part of the
Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA).

Milton Mueller: What bothers me here is the word "purportedly". We
stated that you had to clearly identify the law involved, not just make
the claim about illegality. Did they not understand what we wrote?

Paul Stahura: Seem to be saying that competition trumps all other issues.

Tom Keller: Should be extended to all registrars in that country, and
then it's up to the Board to decide if they want to continue working
with those registrars. Trying to force us to determine what the lowest
common denominator is, should be a process to evaluate different
requirements and decide what the lowest common denominator is. Staff
should be involved, not council

Thomas Roessler: Why is it a problem that someone seeks a competitive
advantage through whatever means. This happens in business all the time.
Apparent intent of staff is that local law not be taken into account so
that registrars don't get a competitive advantage.

Jeff Neumann: Does ICANN believe that registrars will move all of their
operations to a locale where they can avoid certain restrictions? Even
if they open an office in such a jurisdiction, it wouldn't apply to all
of their offices.

Point 3
Without careful study, action to address the concerns raised by TF1/2
could open loopholes to compliance with the RAA that would hurt data
accuracy, consumer protection, and other authorised uses of Whois data.

Steve Metalitz: Like other parts of this statement, I agree with point
3, but it's prefaced with "without careful study" as if we haven't given
it careful study. We're reacting, in part, to the condescending tone of
the staff response. There's a tone here that implies we haven't given
this a lot of thought.

Marilyn Cade: considerable gap of understanding between us and the ICANN
staff. May still be a gap after dialogue, but the dialogue has to take
place. We may be so much better informed that we revise their thinking.

Paul Stahura: we need to check to see if they really understand what we've written. They may fully understand the issue and have a different position on it than the task force.

Point 4:
The recommendation is drafted broadly, and could be read to require
ICANN to allow violations of the RAA except to preserve stability or
security. The draft report appears to give registrars and registries the
right to unilaterally breach the RAA, as long as they give notice to
ICANN. ICANN would be unable to take any reaction to ensure compliance
without formal action by the Board of Directors, following a process
that includes publishing a report that could contain privileged and
confidential legal advice from ICANN's attorneys.

Jeff Neumann: May be a drafting problem in the task force language, so
perhaps could be better drafted.

Milton Mueller: This language could be easily fixed if they would work
with us.

Jeff Neumann: what about point that they couldn't act without board
approval?

Milton Mueller: That's fully within our remit to clarify what everyone's
roles and responsibilities are; including stating that the General
Counsel should act with Board approval. If there are legitimate concerns
on the part of the staff, the procedure can accommodate them. It's
better than saying that if your local law doesn't allow something than
you're out, can't be an accredited registrar.

Steve Metalitz: Seems like a lack of understanding of what we're
recommending, but there was a lot of discussion and disagreement about
what the requirements for General Counsel should be, this was a strong
point of disagreement and negotiation in the task force. May be able to
be clarified through drafting different language.

Point 5:
The recommendation posits specific activities for the ICANN General
Counsel's office, and prescribes actions to the General Counsel's office
which may be dealt with more appropriately by policy development,
registrar/registry liaison or ICANN's Global Partnerships departments.
The specificity of actions described also seems like micro-management of
ICANN staff resources in what is supposed to be a policy discussion.

Jeff Neumann: a little confused by this, first part says that policy
process shouldn't dictate too many things, but in point 5 they are
saying that these issues should go through the policy process.

Marilyn Cade: we have a big gap in understanding between what
constitutes our role, vs. what constitutes the staff role in developing
bottom-up policy. We probably should invite Council to sit in on the
call, implementing policy is a different stage then developing policy.

Jeff Neumann: Does ICANN have to implement consensus policy, regardless?

Marilyn Cade: Yes, or they have to send it back to us for more work.

Milton Mueller: There's a tendency among organizations for staff to
become more and more empowered. I don't understand how you can make a
policy effective without somehow translating it into a procedure. In the
.net situation, we set a policy, and established a procedure. That
wasn't micro-management. You have to get down to details about what
procedures everyone involved follows, you have to set a procedure. All
staffs want to be autonomous, but if you accept the ICANN structure,
we're fully within the mandate of the GNSO to set a procedure.

Steve Metalitz: This is another point where having the dialogue might
clarify things. We put General Counsel in this stage because we thought
that was the right person to do these things, if ICANN staff feels its
someone else, then so be it. You have to remember that we started with a
more general procedure and got more and more specific. Staff should look
at the process of our discussion and see why we arrived at this
conclusion. Then determine if they disagree with the recommendation.

Point 6:
In light of the serious concerns meant to be addressed by the
recommendation, and the issues outlined above with the initially
suggested approach, might it be preferable to focus GNSO attention on
developing improvements to Whois policies that will allow for the
broadest possible harmony with local regulations, and then continue to
leave it up to individual companies to determine whether they can
undertake the obligations set forth in ICANN policies and agreements in
light of local requirements?

Jeff Neumann: This has most of the condescending tone, and is dismissive
of our work. But, they may be right that if we found the right lowest
common denominator for Whois, this may not be an issue

Milton Mueller: Just recall that we viewed this as low-hanging fruit and
the need for this would go away if we reformed whois in the way some of
us want to. But, in the meantime, we need to have something like this.

Marilyn Cade: In the past we were able to work more closely with ICANN
staff and get feedback as we were going along. It seems we're at that
stage now, where we need to do this consultation and figure out how to
proceed given everyone's concerns. Let's just go ahead and schedule it.

Paul Stahura: Maybe if we go ahead with tiered access, we can address
local concerns through that. Maybe we don't need this policy.

Jeff Neumann and others: Were under the impression that having Barbara
involved in the calls meant there was communication between the task
force and ICANN staff. Clearly that wasn't the case, and we need to
schedule a call with Paul Verhoef. John Jeffrey, and Dan Halloran, or as
many of them as we can get in order to discuss the issues.

Marilyn Cade: Don't need a point-by-point rebuttal, should have a call
with the Task Force discussing the background of the recommendations,
and have them be prepared to discuss the overall issue. Responsibility
of the ICANN staff to familiarize themselves with the work of the task
force and come to the discussion prepared to address the heart of the
issues.

Jeff Neumann: I'll craft an invite to staff that addresses those
concerns for them to be familiar with our prior work. Does anyone have
any issues with inviting Council to participate in the call? No, so I'll
include them in the invite.
I will issue an invite to ICANN staff, GNSO Council for a call. Purpose
of the call is to discuss the email that was sent by Paul Verhoef to the
task force, will ask everyone to review the record of the task force.
That the record may answer many of their questions, that on the call
we'll review where we are, how we got there, and then we'll have a
discussion.

--
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN