ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] DRAFT redline of recommendation 2

  • To: bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] DRAFT redline of recommendation 2
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:05:52 EDT

Bret:
You are an attorney.  As you know, disclosure of a pending criminal
investigation can be a violation of law.  While I understand the desire for
transparency in all things, one of them is not when a registrar is being
contacted by a
local law enforcement official regarding possible violations of law.

I have been in this position as counsel to a registrar.  The first rule is
cooperation with law enforcement.  You want to provide information, explore the
possible problem, and seek a resolution.  It is bad policy, and often a
violation of law, to disclose the pending investigation.   (I checked this
matter
with several law enforcement officials and a former US District Attorney when I
was researching it for Task Force 2.)

I had initially thought, as someone on ICANN staff on our call pointed out,
that registrars should not disclose the investigation to ICANN at all.  But I
seem to recall that registrars wanted to disclose it to ICANN staff under the
protection of confidentiality.  To disclose it to the whole ICANN community is
like disclosing it to the press-- you have violated the trust and
confidentiality that the investigation requires.  Good chance you will be sued
at that
point.

As you have appropriately pointed out, global businesses now regularly seek â
varianceâ for local law.  I think we are in the process of doing that here in
compliance with local privacy laws... with the full confidentiality
requirements as required by law.

Regards,
Kathy Kleiman