ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Accuracy Proposal

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Accuracy Proposal
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:59:33 +0200

Ross Rader ha scritto:
Policy Recommendations to the GNSO Council;

Sorry to flood the mailing list today... but I have some questions to ask on this proposal (actually, I've been making them various times in the past, but I never got any convincing reply):

- In which language would attempts to contact the registrant be made?

- What does it mean for the registrant to validly "respond"? If the registrar rings the phone number and someone on the other end picks up the phone and starts to speak in Vietnamese so that the caller can't understand a word, would that be a valid response? And for postal mail, would it be enough if the letter doesn't get back as undeliverable, or would we require to get a written reply?

- What would happen if the attempt to contact the registrant failed due to a mistake by the registrar (for example, the registrar's clerk dials the number incorrectly, or misspells the postal address)? (In years of work with international entities and people, I can't really count the times when my own name or address was misspelt in ways that would make it unrecognizable for an Italian postman... even in cases where the writer was copying it from a computer-printed record)

- What do you mean by the registrant "certifying" the validity of new data? Would formal certification by public authorities be required?

Sorry to raise all these questions, but I think it's better to have them addressed in advance: we might as well assume that anyone who registers a domain name in a gTLD should be required to be able to communicate in English, but that's a pretty strong assumption and, in that case, we need to make it and communicate it clearly.

At the same time, while I clearly see a lot of practical problems and costs tied to these measures, I still don't understand which problem they are meant to address. If it's the "emergency situation" when someone is phishing etc. from a domain registered with fake information, then they are useless as 30 days is way too long a time to wait to take the offending site down, nor would these measures work as disincentives. Otherwise, apart from accuracy for the sake of accuracy, I still need to get a convincing real world case where these measures would make a difference.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...