ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Draft WHOIS terms of reference

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Draft WHOIS terms of reference
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:11:19 -0400

I'm afraid this draft contains an important error:

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/6/2005 1:00:09
AM >>>
>The purpose of the WHOIS service as contained in the Registrar
>Accreditation Agreement (RAA) is to provide accurate technical and
>administrative contact information adequate to facilitate timely
>resolution of any problems that arise in connection with the
Registered
>Name.

This is incorrect. The purpose of WHOIS is not defined in the RAA. The
selection from the RAA quoted here refers to the obligations of
registrants in supplying information and makes no reference to the
"purpose" of WHOIS as such. NCUC will be submitting amendments to the
ToR to correct this problem. as well as others.