ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposal Ponders Privacy Paradox

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposal Ponders Privacy Paradox
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:49:15 -0400

>>> Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> 5/11/2005 12:06:11 PM >>>
>I should have been clearer - I made these comments based on the
>understanding that the Whois policy we use today isn't the Whois
policy
>we may have tomorrow. If this is the case, then the current exemption
>proposal may be setting the wrong precedents.

OK, point taken, my optimistic friend.

But bear in mind, there is not a lot an ICANN contract can do for the
world if national governments (the guys with guns) decide to revoke
civil rights in a particular area. So if ICANN privacy or free
expression policies are better than those of a specific national
government, that is great from my and probably your point of view, but
it won't do anything for the person who lives in that country,
regardless of any "exceptions' policies we develop here.