ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] ALAC position on Recommendation 1

  • To: "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] ALAC position on Recommendation 1
  • From: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:03:35 -0400

I support Maria's suggestion.

________________________________

From: owner-gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Maria Farrell
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 4:43 AM
To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-dow123] ALAC position on Recommendation 1

Dear all,

Below is the ALAC position on Recommendation 1 on improving notification
and consent.  It wasn't submitted to the recent public comments forum
and so hasn't been included in the summary of comments on the Final Task
Force Report. However, I think it is an important part of the record of
views on this recommendation and I would like to add it to the Final
Task Force Report.

I suggest including the ALAC position in an amended section 1.2 of the
document entitled 'Summary of public comments on the Final Task Force
Report (2005)'. It can be footnoted to say it was officially received
after the deadline for public comments.  I would also suggest asking
ALAC to send the position to the public comments forum so that the forum
will be historically complete for future reference.

I don't think this is a substantive change to the report that would
require further discussion on a task force call.  But please let me know
if you have an objection to this inclusion by end of today, Thursday May
25th at the latest.

Many thanks, Maria

ALAC position on recommendation on improving notification and consent
for the

use of contact data in the Whois system.

The At Large Advisory Committee ("ALAC") appreciates the opportunity

to review and comment on the latest work of the Generic Names Supporting

Organization on the subject of improving notification and consent for
the

use of contact data in the Whois system. The ALAC supports the concept
of

mandatory disclosure that underlies these recommendations but believes

that the following two changes would bring clarity to the proposed
policy

and enhance the registrant's experience:

1. In Recommendation No. 1, the phrase "availability and" does not
appear

to add anything to the policy and, as phrased, potentially creates

confusion. Data that is accessible by third-parties is also "available."

The ALAC recommends that the GNSO delete the words "availability and"
from

Recommendation No. 1.

2. In Recommendation No. 2, the recommends deleting the last sentence

altogether ("The wording of the notice provided by registrars should, to

the extent feasible, be uniform"). To the contrary, the ALAC believes
that

registrants would be better served by having registrars make the

disclosure in their own way, in their own languages, using whatever

phrases they deem proper for their respective customer bases.

The ALAC applauds the GNSO and its task forces for making progress

on such difficult policy issues and looks forward to participating in
and

commenting upon future policy initiatives.