ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Voting rules for the combined WHOIS task force

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Voting rules for the combined WHOIS task force
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:43:18 +1000

Hello All,

As part of presenting reports from the WHOIS task force to the Council,
the task force must report on whether a supermajority vote has been
reached on a particular task force recommendation.

To do this we need to be clear on the method of voting.

When we set up the individual task forces, the Council decided that each
constituency would have only one vote on the task force, but that
constituencies could appoint additional members to the task force.
Part of the reasoning of one vote per constituency, was that some
constituencies would have difficulty finding multiple people to
participate in a task force and did not want to be disadvantaged.

From: http://www.gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-20nov03.shtml

"Decision 3: That for the purpose of the WHOIS task forces,
constituencies be allowed to appoint more than one person to listen in
on teleconferences and to participate in the mailing list, but in any
single teleconference or physical meeting, there is only one person from
the constituency to represent the constituency's views."

Now that we have combined the three task forces we could either:
- provide three votes per constituency, and allow three members per
constituency to speak on a teleconference or physical meeting
Or
- operate with a single vote per constituency, and allow only one member
per constituency to represent the constituency's views in a
teleconference or physical meeting

I would like the Council members to consider these options, and express
a view on the mailing list if possible.

At the Council meeting next week, we will vote on one of these two
options.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin