ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Note to council on Notice recommendation

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Note to council on Notice recommendation
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:45:05 -0700

I agree with Ross. We need to get this issue back. If notice is tantamount to waiver, then, speaking for the ALAC, we'd rather have no notice. I'm sure we can address the objection, but we need to address it directly before some creative lawyer down the road makes a waiver argument.

I'm sure with some new discussions that we can easily meet the
objectives of the user community regarding clear notice without
requiring them to give up additional rights.

On 09/08/2005 6:29 PM Jordyn A. Buchanan noted that;

As we discussed on today's call, a concern has been raised that the recommendation on Notice to registrants, currently before the Council,
may be viewed as some kind of waiver of registrant's privacy rights. This was not the intent of the recommendation, and not something that
we had originally considered within the task force. As a result, we
agreed on today's call that I would send a note to Bruce and the
Council requesting further consideration of this issue.

Here's the request I propose to send.  Please let me know (quickly)  if
anyone believes this doesn't correctly reflect our agreement from  the
call today:

Dear Bruce:

In discussions of the Whois TF this week, a concern was raised that the
current proposal relating to improving notice to registrants regarding
the use of their contact details in the Whois system may be viewed as a
waiver of registrants privacy rights. It was not the intent of the
task force that the recommendation act as any sort of waiver, but this
was not an issue that we considered during the work of the task force. We do believe that this is an important issue, however, and believe
that it would be premature for the Council to adopt the policy
recommendations without considering it. As a result, I am writing to
request that the Council either:

a) Refer the recommendation back to the Task Force for further consideration of this specific issue; alternatively, the Council may want to consider this specific issue itself, or

b) Delay adoption of this recommendation until such time as the full range of issues currently being considered by the task force have resulted in a broader set of recommendations that may render this issue
moot.

Thanks,

Jordyn A. Buchanan
Chair, Whois TF

- --

-rwr

Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
Skydasher: A great way to start your day
My weblog: http://www.byte.org