ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Purpose of whois - a starting synthesis....

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of whois - a starting synthesis....
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:16:42 -0500

Here is a first cut at a proposed statement of purpose for Whois per Jordyn's request(my first take on a synthesis of the R'ry, NCUC, R'rar submissions) If there are additional points that we can include from other positions or submissions, let's swap some ideas and drafts back and forth. I'd like this to include as much as possible while remaining true to the scope and mandate of this task force. I'd especially like to hear from the ALAC and Nomm-Comm reps regarding whether or not this view is consistent with theirs.

The purpose of the gTLD WHOIS service is to identify the NAME of the legal entity that has entered into a registration agreement with the registrar for a particular gTLD domain name, and to provide information SUFFICIENT to contact the legal entity for issues arising as a result of the domain name application and registration process or associated with the use of that domain name within the domain name system. Sufficient information includes contact information for an agent that can receive and pass on messages on behalf of the legal entity.

-ross