ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] FOR REVIEW: Draft Preliminary Task ForceReport on the Purpose of Whois]

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] FOR REVIEW: Draft Preliminary Task ForceReport on the Purpose of Whois]
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:12:36 -0500

Mariyln:
I have no objection to the report expressing your belief, and probably Steve's,
that "Formulation 2" is consistent with the ICANN mission. Fortunately the
report already does that. No amendment is needed. Here is the language:

"These representatives support Formulation 2 because they believe it is most
consistent with the history of Whois and follows the growth and expansion as a
means of communication - in both number of users and importance - of the
Internet. They also believe that Formulation 2  is most consistent with the
actual uses of Whois to help resolve issues, and that itt is generally
consistent with ICANN's Mission and Core Values"

The last sentence clearly conveys the idea that it is "consistent" with the
mission and core values, despite the fact that there is no language in the
mission and core values you can cite to support that.

Let's be adults. I don't like Formulation 2 and you don't like Formulation 1. I
thought Maria's description of the reasons you like Formulation 2 were way too
generous, and perhaps you felt it wasn't generous enough. That probably means
Maria did it right.

Let's move on.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx> 01/08/06 12:07 PM >>>

Dear TF members, I'll clarify the purpose of providing my suggested edits.
The reason to provide the staff draft to the TF is to allow comments and
suggested edits from the TF members to help to ensure a thorough document
and support the work that the staff has done in drafting.

I've taken note of Milton's objections to all of my comments. However, I
note that the BC, and I would suspect, but leave to the other constituencies
to comment, believes that the definition that we support is consistent with
the core values and mission of ICANN, and we want to see that reflected in
the report. Otherwise, the report is not accurate in that particular area.

The report needs to be easy to follow, for the stakeholder community. That
was the purpose of several of my suggestions; and I welcome the ICANN staff
providing this call to the TF members for suggested improvements and edits.

Marilyn