ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Final Preliminary TF Report on purpose ofWhois & Whois contacts

  • To: <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Final Preliminary TF Report on purpose ofWhois & Whois contacts
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:07:12 -0500

Jordyn I think you muddied the water a bit rather than clarifying.

Here's what NCUC is going to do (I have consulted with Kathy). We vote in favor
of releasing this report in its latest Maria-amended manifestation. And if
required or relevant, we vote for Formulation 1.

have a nice weekend, all

>>> jordyn.buchanan@xxxxxxxxx 1/13/2006 12:26 PM >>>
Actually, I'm going to clarify slightly and disagree slightly.

One of the requirements for a preliminary report is that we include
the vote of the task force.  My reading of the PDP is that it is not
necessary for the task force to vote to publish a report--that is an
inevitable result of the PDP process.  Rather, you vote to indicate
your support or opposition to a policy proposition.  The PDP also
provides for a mechanism to publish a minority viewpoint.  In this
case, we essentially have a "tie", so there is no clear majority
versus minority viewpoint.  As a result, the report includes the two
alternative formulations on equal footing.

We do still need to include the task force vote, however.  Rather than
choosing one formulation as the primary formulation and allowing
people to vote for or against it (making the other formulation the
minority formulation for those that vote against the primary one), I
thought it would be most straightforward to simply allow people to
vote

I believe that the vote is fairly just a matter of completing the
requirement of the PDP, and that report already correctly chracterizes
the support for the various formulations, but I do believe that a vote
is required as a necessary precursor to publishing the report.

Jordyn